Cause of uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m just about to buy a house. When we had a look round the upstairs of house, all of the floors are uneven, I mean you really notice it when walking on the floor, almost felt like we were on a boat.

I know it’s difficult to say without looking at it, but would you say is the floor joists that have bowed or potentially something more so sister like subsidence?

It’s quite an old house, I’ll post a photo of one of the ground floor rooms, where you can’t see any sign of the floor above being so uneven.

E42FE98D-8DDD-4FC7-9168-66CD2773AE5B.jpeg
337DD56C-03E5-42C9-AAB4-F2C58C73A655.jpeg

Sponsored Links
How old is old?

The beams, joists and ceiling look suspiciously smooth and flat for an old property suggesting they’re additions hiding the original ceiling from below. Doubt it’s subsidence, there would be evidence in the structure as a whole from the ground floor up if that was the case.

If you really like it buy it, but either get a building surveyor in at this stage or employ a chartered surveyor to do a full structural survey if/ when you're offer is accepted. Any issues arising will go to price or the principle of purchase.

You will get used to the sloping floor.

Blup

I’ve asked the exact question, but the estate agents have told me they have struggled to date the house.
I agree I thought the ceiling looked too “perfect” considering the floor upstairs is so uneven.
We’d definitely have to change it, it’s really really warped, there would be no getting used to that.

Sponsored Links
The joists may have rotted or otherwise been damaged, and it may not be apparent on visual inspection, even to an expert. Provided it is not structural e.g. rot where the floor joists sit in the wall pockets, it might be a relatively straightforward case of bolting new joists either side of the existing ones to level the floor, and fit new floor boards. As said you need an expert to inspect, especially if it is listed as well as listing.

Blup

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back