which underlay for engineered floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give advice on what underlay to use for laying engineered floor of 10mm thickness (or possibly 15mm) over plywood floorboards on the ground floor of a house.

The floor does seem quite uneven with some dips of a few mm. Would this unevenness make you consider the thicker floor or does it not matter too much if the right underlay is there?

I have read on this forum that you shouldn't use an underlay with DPM on a ground floor unless it's on concrete (or maybe i misinterpreted.....).

Grateful for any advice please!

Sponsored Links
It does matter what quality wood floor you buy in regards of 'sturdiness' when you have an uneven underfloor.
Adding thicker underlayment will only make a thin floor bounce even harder!

If possible, level your underfloor out with plywood, then you can use the normal 3mm foam underlayment - without the DPM!

thanks for the reply - so is the DPM something I must avoid then? i.e. the Timbermate excel would be no good?

and would you use something like Timbermate Duratex?

Sponsored Links
Duratex is a very suitable product for you, as long as you realise it will not 'cover' large unevennesses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back