Uneven Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a property that is 20 years old and built by Bellway which explains a lot!

The upstairs floors are very uneven particuarly the landing which has a 1/4 inch slope, the bedrooms also have uneven floors, I checked with my neighbour and it seems its a "feature" of other houses of the same design.

The down stairs can be levelled off because its a solid floor, but how do I level the upstairs which is chip board without lifting it all. Any ideas :idea:

Sponsored Links
karawara88 said:
The upstairs floors are very uneven particuarly the landing which has a 1/4 inch slope, the bedrooms also have uneven floors,
Do you mean the floor level is up and down or just slope away?

The downstairs slopes in different direction to the top, I think its just shoddy workmanship rather than anything else.

The main slope on the upstairs seems to be from the top of the stairs, its my guess that the main support beam ? for the stairs is higher than the beams for the floor, if I put a spirit level on the back of the landing, the slope to the front bedroom is a good 1/4 "

In the back bedroom the floor slopes .down then lifts back up to the front bedroom.

Actually to try and make it a bit clearer ... where the gap for the stairs is, you go up the stairs and have a bathroom to the front and a bedroom to the back (box room with airing cupboard overstairs) and a these two rooms are fine but the two bedrooms and landing (passageway) to the left is where the slope occurs, as if the two beams either that span the gap for the stairs are higher than the middle bit.

slope.jpg

The pink bit is where it slopes!

Sponsored Links
It sound like to me when the staircase was made, someone has measure the riser a bit too short therefore sloped the floorboard to the top of the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back