Cavity advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the builders in at the moment doing a single storey rear extension. I'm probably the worst kind of customer, because I like to keep a check on the work. :oops:

I'm becoming increasingly anxious about the quality of their work. For example:
- the wall ties aren't well bedded and are loose before the second skin is constructed
- the wall tie drips aren't in the middle of the Dritherm slabs
- the Dritherm isn't being protected from mortar droppings (eg cavity boards as recommended by the manufacturers).
- the same mortar droppings (substantial) aren't being cleaned out before the next layer of insulation is installed

I suppose the question is, am I worrying about nothing, or should I raise my concerns before it's too late? Last thing I want is problems with cold spots and damp bridging later on (especially considering how much this is costing me).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi I think from what you've said your right to have concerns, the reason the ties are loose is probably because they forgot to bed them in at the appropiate course and have pushed them in afterwards, therefore they are not doing what there designed to, I would have look and make sure they've staggered them also, you may already know but this is 900mm on the horizontal and 450mm on the vertical planes....or every four bricks and every six course......they should also put a tie 150 from each jamb/reveal(opening) every 225mm or third course.

The drips on the ties should also be the right way round......

If you've got substantial droppings in your cavity each day then their not caring too much a bit rough as we say in the trade....

yes as u said this can bridge the cavity and cause damp problems later, using batterns... i've rarely seen as most brickies clean the back of each course as they go and put the mortar back on the spot...

If their not taking care with the brickwork.. what elses are they gonna be slack about???

not wishing to spread fear and panic you should a least let them know you can see their errors... might make them a bit more conciencoius..

Have a word and voice your concerns ,after all you are the one paying for it if you are worried ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back