Cavity closer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new upvc double glazed window installed in a bedroom in preparation for an ensuite bathroom, by addition of stud wall to separate.

I got a fensa company to sort the window for me. They cut through brickwork on first floor and window installed now.

I put a building notice in to labc to cover ensuite and window and I've had a couple of discussions with labc.
First call I had they advised as it was a fensa company doing the work on the window, so they'd be ok to inspect once during ensuite plumbing (updated soil stack etc), window was ok.
Now window in, I rang them again about timing for inspecting the ensuite and got a different inspector. He asked if the window had cavity closers/dpc installed. He said fensa covered replacement but not new.
I can ask the question to the company who installed but I suspect they probably weren't. It's only a little window (~35cm across) and there was a lintel put in. The quote did itemise a lintel, but nothing obvious for cavity closers. I did say that labc would be inspecting.

I can perhaps wait to see what he says when on site in coming weeks, but I'm after a little advice if they've not been fitted -

- are cavity closers easy enough to fit afterwards, when plasterboard removed from inside?
- are they needed top and bottom as well? There is a window board in.

Replastering is no biggy for me to put right after, though I'd rather do that now rather than after I've skimmed everything and bathroom is fitted!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Isn't it either cavity closure or DPC?

Labc inspector mentioned both at different times on phone, but I may have misunderstood if he meant one of them or both.
The question I have is if either was missing, to rectify does it just require the plasterboard on the reveals off or would it need top and bottom removing too?

If it's an insulated cavity lintel then the top will be ok, but not if it's 2 separate ones on each skin . The cavity closers would normally be sides and bottom. Who plasterboarded it? Cant you cut a test hole in the reveal and see what's behind it in the cavity?

A window company would not normally fit a window across a cavity, but would fit it forward into the outer leaf brickwork.

So you could have a look, and make a hole.

Required bottom and sides. It would depend how the firm has made the window opening as to whether (if needed) you could fit closers or just some expanding foam and DPC.

If it's an insulated cavity lintel then the top will be ok, but not if it's 2 separate ones on each skin . The cavity closers would normally be sides and bottom. Who plasterboarded it? Cant you cut a test hole in the reveal and see what's behind it in the cavity?
The lintels are two separate ones (concrete on outer).
Yes, a test hole is a good idea. Skimming wasn't the best and I was going to reskim when doing the main wall

A window company would not normally fit a window across a cavity, but would fit it forward into the outer leaf brickwork.

So you could have a look, and make a hole.

Required bottom and sides. It would depend how the firm has made the window opening as to whether (if needed) you could fit closers or just some expanding foam and DPC.

It was installed in outer leaf of brickwork.

What you describe sounds fairly straight forward.
I'm away at the moment but when home later in the week I'll do some cutting to see what's there and post an update.

Ok, cut away some of the plasterboard to see what's behind.

Steel lintel on outer skin, looks an L section.
Looks to have about 5cm length overlap to brickwork, but not sat direct on brick, prob 10mm gap and had been filled with expanding foam only. Dug away a bit just under lintel to see if any slate had been used to pack.

Nothing closing cavity and expanding foam used to D&D the plasterboard to sides.

Separate piece of timber used for lintel on inner brick skin, seems pretty thick.

From the outside

I know when he started, he said it was only a small window (42cm wide) and with only a couple of brick courses above wasn't much weight and didn't need a lintel, after talking to his builder. But he'd quoted for it and as it was a new opening and outside wall, I was happier with something there so he did it.

Would be interested in views on a lintel here - is the window below a minimum width for needing one?
I'm aware steels in big openings are normally on pad stones with 150mm minimum overlap, but surely that would be overkill for a little window?

He was aware that LABC would be involved before quoting/starting, so I hoped this would help.

I need to decide what's needed from here. I'm hoping there's some remedial work that I can get him back for, that doesn't involve taking out the window and start over, redoing lintel too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back