Cavity insulation 100mm which type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had the builders round to do the DPC layer of semi-engineering bricks and they have left a space for insulation which they say should be 100mm when moving into the rest of the wall (not at DPC layer)

What are people using in between these cavity walls? Should I get a typical cavity slab of 100mm which looks like the fiberglass roll style or is 100 mm celotex board the way to go?

The cavity wall will be made up of yellow stock on the outside and thermalite blocks for the inside

Sponsored Links
I assume post June 22 as I'm building now?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have asked before; is this an extension or a new dwelling? Edit; it must be an extension, or you'd be following a thermal design.

Assuming the cavity is fixed at 100mm, you could use 100mm cavity batts (Dritherm 34 or similar) but you'd then need about 40mm PIR internal lining as well. Alternatively, you will need full fill PIR - Unilin CT/PIR or similar.

Either way it would be wise to have the u-value calculated and agreed with building inspector before you commit.

Last edited:
It's an extension to the existing house on permitted development. Existing house is 1930s

Sorry, should have asked before; is this an extension or a new dwelling? Edit; it must be an extension, or you'd be following a thermal design.

Assuming the cavity is fixed at 100mm, you could use 100mm cavity batts (Dritherm 34 or similar) but you'd then need about 40mm PIR internal lining as well. Alternatively, you will need full fill PIR - Unilin CT/PIR or similar.

Either way it would be wise to have the u-value calculated and agreed with building inspector before you commit.
Thanks!

Would these be okay then - full fill 100mm as you mentioned above.

Cavity is fixed at 100mm

That will do it. With a standard thermal block internal leaf that should achieve a u-value of 0.17. (The minimum is 0.18)

That will do it. With a standard thermal block internal leaf that should achieve a u-value of 0.17. (The minimum is 0.18)
Would you mind letting me know how you calculated that! Just incase I get a different type of full fill 100mm cavity ?

I have some of the specifications I use regularly pre-calculated for use in my CAD system. Best thing you can do is go onto the Unilin website and look up a u-value or request a calculation if you want something not on the standard tables. Or any other manufacturer website, come to that.

I'm helping a mate do his extension, the council officer is giving one years' grace to allow cavity to be 100m (full fill batts) instead of 150mm.
50mm of celotex has to be added to the inner blockwork of external walls.

I don't need any internal wall celotex with this approach though

What about 100mm celotex, I has a thermal conductivity value of 0.022 and the unilin 0.021. can't be that much different?

Last edited:
PIR is claimed to be nearly twice as efficient as rockwool, so you should have a more thermal efficiency, over cost.

Thanks!

Would these be okay then - full fill 100mm as you mentioned above.

Cavity is fixed at 100mm

Yes we've just used them on our current build. Horrible to cut, horrible to install, very expensive and add much extra time to the whole cavity insulating process.
Otherwise - crack on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back