Cavity insulation debate - you'll laugh at one of us...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While ordering our blocks and cavity insulation in the local builders merchant on Saturday morning I get in, what I think is the most ridiculous debate as to what is deemed 'full-fill' cavity wall insulation...

The guy on the counter, who has been selling to the trade for 30 years, was convinced that an insulation product was only 'full-fill' if it had the tongue and groove notch where it joins - and that 100mm fiberglass/rockwool bats were not full-fill!

Is that worrying, or am I misinformed, because my understanding is clear: if the insulation fills the cavity it is 'full-fill - and there is nothing more to it!?

Can you settle this one please?

Cheers
Tom

Sponsored Links
Full fill just means that the cavity is fully filled, not left with an air gap.
The other type is normally used to save having a backing wall on stone walls.
Both are full fill.

Exactly, so the 'toothing' on the bottom of a 450 x 1200 xtratherm board has nowt to do with the term, and as this would probably be a 50mm sheet it should be installed as a partial fill solution!

Thanks - I knew I was right when he wouldn't bet on it! :)
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back