Cavity Position of window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first time poster. Had some windows fitted by the window company, afterwards I had my builder strip some blown plaster in the reveals. As per picture the window is positioned forward of then cavity closer and there is a gap. Is this likely to cause an issue? should the window be flush to the closer or overlap it?

Attachments

• 20210821_104759.jpg
    20210821_104759.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
Yes the window should ideally be at least 30mm over the cavity closer.

However they may have not have quoted or specificed for this - especially if the original window was in the "wrong" place, or the reveal plasterboard was insulated (doesn't look like it).

The issue it can cause is essentially your reveal plasterboard is attached to the outer leaf brickwork and the plasterboard is the only barrier to outside temps. This is an cold bridge and you can get condensation / high risk of mold here as the cold surface meets your warm room - but it varies on house use, temps etc. Also if the brick fully saturates from driving rain (doesn't look like it will, the area looks sheltered) then that can also track moisture inside.

Thanks for the reply! We just bought the house but I now suspect the old windows were in the wrong place. The old plaster in the reveals was cracked and bubbled in places, so I suspect you are right, no mould though, but I guess could have been cleaned/painted over before we bought it. We have had the top room decorated already and I can feel cold spots and there was an damp arc in the corner of one window after heavy rain. So looks like what you describe is happening already.

I was unaware as knew nothing about windows or cavities (until now) so assumed the fitters would fit correctly. I did notice though that the windows (4 in total) seem too far forward. If I look from the outside, the horizontal pvc bar above the window seems to protrude from the brick on a couple of windows. One window seems fitted at an angle as it is protruding on one side only. Surely that cannot be right as that would catch the rain?
Anyway - is it possible to refit windows, do they come out in one piece? I will get the company back but want to be armed with some knowledge as want it done properly.

It's tricky as the may well have done everything they were instructed too properly. This kind of thing falls into the pre installation survey stage and it may not have included any remit for improvement.

It also may be that the constitution is correct, more photos of the things you have issue with would help.

This by itself does not really explain the issues you have found, which may be more related to direct water ingress from a leak or gap etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I was asking if it is technically possible to have them moved now rather than who is liable. Will the frames get damaged if moved?

I attach a picture from the outside. See the top bar seems to jut out on the RHS. The brick on the side reveal is about 3cm on the left, and just over 1cm on the right. So looks like it as at an angle. We have the issue on the bottom corner on the RHS. I damp arc appeared in the corner.

I just tried spraying the window from with a hose from the outside, after about 5 mins water was seeping in that same corner, water was actually coming onto the inside window sill. Presume that is not supposed to happen? Spraying with a hose from under I guess is not recreating rain conditions but I would expect them to be water tight?

Attachments

• 20211105_104311.jpg
    20211105_104311.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 103

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back