Cavity Trays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's

Need some input before I pull out the rest of what little hair I have left.

At the beginning of 2013 we built an extension with a flat roof onto the back of a 3 storey town house.

Before I go too far into this I will explain what the back of the house was like before we started, on the ground floor was a kitchen window & a set of French doors, on the first floor is 2 bedroom windows and the same on the third floor all running inline vertically.

We built the extension and have taken the kitchen window and French doors out as these are now internal openings.

We have fitted cavity trays with weep vents above the roof line with the lead flashing under the tray and dress over the felted roof, all inspected by building control through the stages.

But here's the problem, we keep getting a leak over where the French doors used to be but everywhere else is fine even over the old kitchen window opening, I have been back a number of times to take a look and even resulted to cutting the brickwork back out to make sure I hadn't miss anything but was fine, as a last result I even cut out a section of the plasterboard to expose the brick behind and that is dry.

Beginning to think it’s not water penetration and possibly a cavity leak but I may also be over thinking the whole situation and missing the obvious, as it seems funny it is only directly over the old opening for the French doors.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated

:?:

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind that where the water comes through is rarely directly beneath where it is penetrating. For example, it is common for water to enter around a window from above, drip onto a lintel, track towards the centre of the lintel (because it deflects at the centre) and drip in the middle of the opening below - maybe a couple of metres away from where it penetrated.

I would check all windows above, brick joints and also the felt drips at roof level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back