cavity wall bridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

What is the preferred method of joining walls at the corner of a house. I will be attaching an internal timber frame with external blockwork (rendered).

Do I:

A/ remove a 50mm run of external existing cavity wall to blend with new cavity.
or
B/ just cut a run with an angle grinder right through and slip in a DPC?
or
c/ do nothing and leave the bridge

Ive attached a quick sketch below to illustrate.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4711.jpg
    IMG_4711.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Cut out a slot in line with the back edge of the new external wall. Wedge a strip of DPC in, no need to point it up, just a bit of silicone or tube adhesive to hold it in place. That's the minimum, and will be fine.

A better job though (D) would be to cut a slot as above, but then block bond the new internal wall to the existing, and that will allow you to remove the nib as per (A), and you can also run your insulation through.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody but how do I block bond the internal wall to a timber frame?

LOL, sorry I did not process that bit. :rolleyes::oops:

Go with plan B.

How are you dealing with the vertical joint in the plaster where the frame meets the house? You probably need to plaster board across the joint somehow

Ok I'll go with B was concerned that spliting the wall in two might destabilise it but it been there for 100 years already.

Im putting insulated plasterboard right across the join so should be ok on that front.

I'm at this stage in my building now but with a slight change in that my wall is not cavity but solid.

The timber frame butts onto it with a vertical DPM. if I tie the block work skin on with a wall starter kit then how do I stop damp travelling across the solid wall? Also need to prevent a cold bridge.

I can't cut the entire wall through to break the bridge as that will effect the Structual strength.

Thanks

If the wall is solid, then you are in exactly the same position that you have always been in regarding potential damp getting to the inside, and so you don't need to take any extra precautions other than protecting the timber frame.

Aren't you working to detailed plans, btw?

Thanks woody,

Unfortunately I don't have any plans just working things out as I go along. That's the main reason I went timber frame, hopeing that I wouldn't have much to work out. Didn't quite work out that way!

Ok. It's just a vertical DPC then between the frame and the wall.

Don't forget that you need to vent/drain the cavity. This will be by leaving a perpend joint in the brickwork open every four or maximum five bricks at DPC level and above openings.

Thanks woody I'll mention it to the brickie. We are blocking the front up and batten then cement weatherboarding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back