Cavity wall insulation. Am I about to get "scammed"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a cold call from someone offering me FREE cavity wall insulation. Apparently funded by the levy on energy companies. We're not on benefits and we're home owners. Both working with decent jobs. We have dependent kids but they're not eligible for any benefits either. All seems a bit too good to be true? Does that mean it IS too good to be true? He was offering to get a cavity wall insulation company in my area to give me a call to arrange a no-obligation assessment visit.

I've had this before, where some incompetent crowd of clowns doubled my loft insulation thickness for me (twice, because they made such a dog's breakfast of it the first time) but at least it was indeed, absolutely free, so I'm wondering if maybe this is NOT a scam after all?

As an aside, does anyone have any experience of cavity wall insulation that they'd be willing to share, please? All he could tell me is that it wasn't the "foam" type, it was the "ball" type. I've heard worrying things about condensation and penetrating damp? Cumbria is notoriously damp and our house is in a windy spot, facing the prevailing wind. A visitor once said "you don't need a porch, you need an airlock"!
Also wondering about rodents. We live in a rural area and every Winter, we get the odd field mouse.

The house was built in 1995. It already has the sort of cavity insulation that is basically about an inch of foam sprayed on to the surface of each of the concrete blocks that make up the inner leaf, but there's nothing on the mortar joints. Basically, this was applied to the blocks before they were made into a wall. I know modern builds need to use continuous sheets.

Sponsored Links
He was offering to get a cavity wall insulation company in my area to give me a call

he is probably a commission-only cold caller paid a pittance to find mugs, sorry, "leads"

There area number of scams like that, I've seen websites that say things like "apply now for your free boiler" but aren't a grant company or even an installer, they just harvest names, addresses and emails, which they sell on. Last time I looked, if you give your name and express an interest, they can "register" you as their client, and no other supplier can get a grant for you, even if they're better and you'd prefer them.

AFAIK there aren't any free insulation schemes on general offer at the moment. When they are, you will see them advertised on places like Martins Moneysaving, and usually also by your gas and electricity supplier or your local council.

Anyway, I wouldn't give business to a cold calling scammer. Cold calling is illegal, unless you've previously agreed to it.

When schemes were available, I got mine done by my Electricity Supply company (one of the big six). They have a reputation to uphold, and, from time to time, they are forced by the government to provide free or subsidised schemes. British Gas, for a while, offered insulation to anyone, even if they weren't a customer.

Sponsored Links
Never buy things from people/companies who approach you with items they wish to sell to you.

Always consider and determine what you want and need, and then actively look for people/companies who can supply to you what you want and need.

A few years ago this was true. The energy companies had targets set by government and so these grants and free installs were common. But all that has ended now except for the very low earners. What tends to hapen now is that the cost of the work is intrest free and added to the homeowners - and even this is more limited in scope.

There are knowns areas (maps) of the UK where cavity insualtion is not recommended

Avocet, good evening.

As I recall there has been a load of shall I call it "issues" with retro-filled cavity insulation in Cumbria, and Wales

As "Woody" above there are maps that indicate areas of the UK where cavity fill is simply not advised, the areas are generally elevation and secondly exposure to wind, such as a coastal location or above XXX m.

If you can be bothered have a look at the following [makes for really, really good bedtime reading???]

http://www.publiclawtoday.co.uk/hou...-over-poorly-installed-cavity-wall-insulation

www.wallcavityclaims.co.uk/ciga/get-a-copy-of-your-ciga-certificate/

www.cewales.org.uk/.../Post_Installation_Performance_of_Cavity_Wall__External_

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/informationreport_of_bre_on_cavi

http://www.publiclawtoday.co.uk/hou...-over-poorly-installed-cavity-wall-insulation

www.wallcavityclaims.co.uk/ciga/get-a-copy-of-your-ciga-certificate/

I have been involved in several Insurance claims where entire properties were made uninhabitable. big trick is if you do go ahead ??? ensure that the "guarantee" is a complete and actual " Guarantee"

As an aside?? at one time, not all that long ago, the "guarantees" were backed and enforced by a company called [would you believe it] Carrillion? yes that now failed multi-faceted conglomerate?? makes you think??

Ken.

I had my 20 year old house retro filled with blown EPS with adhesive beads earlier this year. They originally contacted me and I mentioned it to my neighbour and we both researched the company and reviews and it all seemed genuine. Two surveyors came round and drilled holes through mortar joints and inspected the cavities and confirmed the walls had 65mm clear cavities suitable for filling. They reported back with information for their installers who came a few weeks later later and I watched them do the work. They inject in various places that they said ensured full coverage and the 'gun' they use to inject cuts off automatically when the cavity filled to that level. They checked extractor fan air bricks and balanced flue and found the bathroom fan air brick was filled with beading so removed it and mortared in a new one. All done at no cost to me or my neighbour as the company claimed the cost back from the government. As far as I know it is all ok and I understand EPS beads installed with adhesive are blown to fill the cavity and then don't move when the adhesive sets. The thing is to check out the company offering to do it are reputable. Don't know if the government scheme is still operating but it should be easy to check. That is my experience but I can't be responsible for anybody else's experience if they have it done.

I had my 20 year old house retro filled with blown EPS with adhesive beads earlier this year. .... All done at no cost to me or my neighbour as the company claimed the cost back from the government.

Here’s the most recent example of a scam that looks like this in the news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46206788

Leofric, your description seems .... surprising. Are you definitely not paying for the work through your electricity bill?

Thanks all, I searched for Ken's map, and what do you know? I can tick the "very severely exposed to driving rain" box on the location map you mentioned! Can't find any elevation limits but we're about 500 feet above sea level too. I also forgot to say that the house was rendered (pebbledash).

I think I'm starting to go off the idea....!

. I also forgot to say that the house was rendered (pebbledash).

I think I'm starting to go off the idea....!
That's the best thought you've had - unless you want a house peppered with holes filled with a lump of pug, just waiting to let water into the filled cavity;)

These people are no better than the cold callers who knock at the door to say the roof needs repairing.

endecotp , what part of my description is surprising? The company did all the paperwork and didn't charge me anything ?
Do you mean I am paying for this sort of thing through my electricity bill similar to the way I am subsidising people who have covered their roofs with
solar panels ?
Hopefully my gas bill might be a bit lower if I can get the family to close windows and keep doors shut in winter !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back