Cavity Wall Insulation - cables in cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been offered free CWI as part of another scheme. The company doing it came out a few weeks ago to do the checks to see if it would actually be free for us, but they didn't check routing of wires.

It has just occurred to me that about 1.5m (maybe 2m) of our cables from the CU run in the cavity to the first floor - we had the floorboards up upstairs in the Autumn for plumbing work and you can see where they come back in. There are no cables coming out from the CU so I can only surmise they go straight out the back of it, into the cavity.

The house was built-in the late 50s/early 60s and from what I've read this was quite normal. However CWI was not around then.

The wiring seems pretty new - there's manufacturing dates of 2012 and 2013 on it and the CU is MCB based (but doesn't look brand new)...

Sponsored Links
We've been offered free CWI as part of another scheme. The company doing it came out a few weeks ago to do the checks to see if it would actually be free for us, but they didn't check routing of wires.
They wouldn't they are not concerned about it
It has just occurred to me that about 1.5m (maybe 2m) of our cables from the CU run in the cavity to the first floor - we had the floorboards up upstairs in the Autumn for plumbing work and you can see where they come back in. There are no cables coming out from the CU so I can only surmise they go straight out the back of it, into the cavity.

The house was built-in the late 50s/early 60s and from what I've read this was quite normal. However CWI was not around then.

The wiring seems pretty new - there's manufacturing dates of 2012 and 2013 on it and the CU is MCB based (but doesn't look brand new)...
It is not good practice to use the cavity for cable routes!

Thanks, but do I need to be concerned about it? They are coming today!

Heat? Derating? etc.? They use the glass mineral wool type, not polystyrene.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back