Cavity wall insulation new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are getting an extension built and the builders have specced 100mm insulation. I originally thought it was going to be 100mm PIR Insulation, however seems it’s going to be a 100mm cavity slab.

I understand that PIR has higher performance rating than slab. However I believe if it was PIR, this reduced insulation value as we would have to do 50mm and leave 50mm air gap.

What is the general views about what is better?

Sponsored Links
100mm full fill rockwall insulation batts with lightwieght internal blockwork will comply with part L -assuming you are building with elemental values.

PIR insulation is only used as part fill in cavities, although there is a special PIR board available for full fill now.

Yeh, I was hoping for the builder to use fullfill 100mm boards. However they are like 5x the price of the cavity slabs.

I was hoping to go for high insulation values, but is the additional cost worth it?

It depends on how good your builders are.

Weren't you told about PIR requiring cavities in your first thread?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but this is the fullfill cavity wall insulation which doesn’t need a cavity? It has an outlayer which prevents moisture.

Considering they specc’ed it and decided to use slabs instead suggests to me they probably don’t know how to install the high spec stuff.

Those boards are great for random stonework, but expensive and a pain for brickwork.

Thanks all, I do get the feeling that for a smallish extension that insulation is insulation and probably don’t need to go over the top with expensive products. So long as the insulation is relevant and appropriately installed.

My last house had a 2-storey extension with 80mm full-fill rockwool, thermalite block, and dot-and-dab (i.e. nothing fancy) and that end of the house was like a sauna compared to the original house (1950's, 2 skins of red brick with 50mm cavity full of retro-fit polystyrene balls).

That is good to know.

That gives me more confidence that my extension doesn’t need high spec insulation to keep in heat

My last house had a 2-storey extension with 80mm full-fill rockwool, thermalite block, and dot-and-dab (i.e. nothing fancy) and that end of the house was like a sauna compared to the original house (1950's, 2 skins of red brick with 50mm cavity full of retro-fit polystyrene balls).

Sounds like the person who specified the heating in the new part didn't do it right in that case. A well insulated house should have more stable temperatures, unless of course it's got a lot of glass.
A green house is always boiling even with single glazing.

You should have fitted a better fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back