Cavity Wall Insulation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has installed a PIR insulation solution for a block/block cavity wall. The PIR solution suggests that it should be tight to the inside cavity providing a void on the back of the outer skin. This is to allow any water ingress to drop to the bottom. However they have filled the cavity with 2x50mm PIR. This will be brilliant thermally, but the manufacturer says that they can guarantee that it will act as a bridge for moisture.

What to do? - its built to second floor.....

Sponsored Links
They are, but haven't seen this. Do I talk to the builder or building control? Will it cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
They are, but haven't seen this. Do I talk to the builder or building control? Will it cause a problem?

It will cause a problem if you don't talk to someone.

Why not tell the building inspector of your concern and let him tell the builders to do it properly, thus keeping your head down. It is potentially a major problem and needs resolving before the builder goes on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back