Cavity wall insulation !!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a DIY story really but still a bit of a disaster...
Cavity wall installation men came to do a neighbours house, a turn of the century terrace. They looked very professional in their white boiler suits and duly got on with the drilling and the filling. All went well untill they came to do the kitchen ( an offshot at the rear) They didn't check to make sure the wall actually had a cavity ( it was a single solid wall )
before drilling the hole, attaching the hose and half filling the kitchen with insulation...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Chap in our road in the late 60's set up as a cavity insulation installer.

Two of his worst "errors" were

[1] filled a pantry with foam which continued to expand and push the door and its frame out into the hallway. ( loose brick in the inner wall )

[2] exploded the side panels off a bath when foam got through the gap around the waste pipe

One "foamer" took revenge on a love rival by putting his nozzle through the rivals letter box

Reminds me of a grand designs, where they were working at height and (for some reason) had a big inflated bag on the lower level to prevent fall injuries, it had been overinflated and started pushing the walls out. :rolleyes:

Why only a single skinned wall though?

When the house was built the rear offshot was designed to be a washouse so didnt get built to the same standards as "living" part hence only a single thickness of wall.
So as the poor guy drilled through he felt the resistance fall to zero and Assumed without checking that the cavity was ready to be filled....

I haven't laughed so much in ages.

We're were recently considering cavity wall insulation, but have just discovered all our external walls are solid 9 inch walls. Just as well I checked !!!!

Please look at the date before posting, this topic is 15 months old :rolleyes:

still funny though. :LOL:

Some of us weren't here 15 months ago! ;)
So what's your point :?: you can still read can't you, that's what the archive is for :rolleyes:. If you need even similar info raise a new thread. But if you just want to browse then that’s fine but there is rarely any point in resurrecting ancient posts. ;)

I am with Richard C on this.

Often new people will post a question by adding it on to an old post (similar to as has happened here) BUT they genuinely expect to get a reply from the OP, who, in most cases never replies or left the forum.

By posting similar to or "please note the date the post was made etc......" those browsing will see it and realise its not a good idea to post because the OP often as i said no longer posts so they will never get a reply from the OP

Then there is those who post and go, for what ever reason they ask a question, and never post again, not even to say thanks. But people still post with questions to those too.

It seems I have caused a bit of a stir!! I posted my comment not realising the age of the original message. It just made me laugh out loud and when I submitted my post, I wasn't expecting a reply anyway.

I apologise and will note the date of original posts in future.

JB

The later post was neither offering advice to someone who had disappeared two years ago, nor asking for further help on a long past thread.
It's thread recalling disasters that have happened not a thread requesting help. So does it ruddy matter how old the original post is? It is just so that people can have a laugh at others misfortunes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back