Cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Well just as I thought id got my head around cavities and insulation I’m now not sure I have

I was under the impression that a cavity was a standard 100mm but I’ve just read that refs have changed and now it’s 150mm ? Is this right or have I miss read it ?

If it’s still 100mm standard can this be reduced to 900mm?

Basically we are planning on putting a bay window in on a dwarf wall prob starting in April when we have pp … 900mm would be perfect 150mm will cause me huge issue!
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
The cavity isn't specified, it's the U value for the wall you have to meet. If it's a small area your BC might be flexible or let you increase in another area.

If you are forming a bay into an existing wall, then you should not need to follow the requirements for new walls, as it would not make any sense to have a highly insulated wall within a poorly or less insulated wall.

No worse than the existing wall around it would be the minimum, but you may like to (and be expected to) consider additional insulation. This could be say, using a better insulating block on the inner leaf, or just adding insulation to an otherwise uninsulated cavity wall.

Sponsored Links
Look at Kingspan K106 cavity board. It’s a full fill 100mm product, which compresses down to 90mm once in place and leaves a 10mm residual gap. It’s designed for 100mm cavities and allows you to hit the newer u values.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back