Cavity Wall Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I live in a semi detached home and currently have noise issues with the neighbour. Any noise from any source in the neighbours house seems to move all along the party wall to all rooms in my house. For example tv noise from living room can be heard just as loud upstairs in all connected rooms.

I have been told this is because its breeze block wall with unfilled cavity and the noise is echoing and travelling through the cavity. Does that make sense? If so would getting wool cavity insulation be possible and effective? Any advice would be so much help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It won't hurt but may not improve things by much- keeping noise in is easier than keeping it out.
Do any of the floor joists bridge the cavity? Any holes on your side? And are there ties across the cavity? Any chimney breasts on the party wall?
Does the party wall go all the way to the roof (most likely) or does it stop at ceiling height?
Is neighbours telly fixed to the party wall? Do they have laminate floors?

Plaster fills and covers gaps in the blockwork, but try to lift floorboards to look for unfilled gaps in the unplastered wall. Also in the loft.

If the joists go into the party wall there are probably shrinkage gaps. You can fill them with expanding foam (preferably the pink fire grade)

You can also pack between the joists along the party wall with mineral wool batts, there is a heavy, dense grade better for sound muffling than lightweight loft quilt.

It won't hurt but may not improve things by much- keeping noise in is easier than keeping it out.
Do any of the floor joists bridge the cavity? Any holes on your side? And are there ties across the cavity? Any chimney breasts on the party wall?
Does the party wall go all the way to the roof (most likely) or does it stop at ceiling height?
Is neighbours telly fixed to the party wall? Do they have laminate floors?

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can tell floor joists don't bridge the cavity, but i will double check that. Party wall does go all the way to the roof, you can see in the loft how badly made it is. No chimney breast as we have our own in the centre of the house. Neighbours TV is not fixed to party wall but on wall at right angle to party wall. Yes neighbour has laminate flooring too.

Sponsored Links
Plaster fills and covers gaps in the blockwork, but try to lift floorboards to look for unfilled gaps in the unplastered wall. Also in the loft.

If the joists go into the party wall there are probably shrinkage gaps. You can fill them with expanding foam (preferably the pink fire grade)

You can also pack between the joists along the party wall with mineral wool batts, there is a heavy, dense grade better for sound muffling than lightweight loft quilt.

Thank you for the advice. I will check as you say under the floor boards. Yes the loft definitely has gaps in the blockwork. It is really badly put together, however maybe I am not thinking about this correctly but if I was to fill that, would it actually make a difference below in the house?

it will reduce the amount of noise getting into your home. noise takes the easiest route so get through gaps. mortar is better than foam as it is denser, but difficult to put round joists unless the gaps are big. should be easy in the loft. spray the blocks with water first to prevent them sucking the mortar dry.

carpeting will also muffle it

if the neighbours have attached their TV to the party wall, or have speakers there, noise will be worse. if they are hard of hearing they may have turned up the volume. You could suggest to them moving the position if they are amenable. If not, hang your speakers on the party wall and wait for them to complain.

it will reduce the amount of noise getting into your home. noise takes the easiest route so get through gaps. mortar is better than foam as it is denser, but difficult to put round joists unless the gaps are big. should be easy in the loft. spray the blocks with water first to prevent them sucking the mortar dry.

carpeting will also muffle it

if the neighbours have attached their TV to the party wall, or have speakers there, noise will be worse. if they are hard of hearing they may have turned up the volume. You could suggest to them moving the position if they are amenable. If not, hang your speakers on the party wall and wait for them to complain.
Thanks this is all noted and appreciated. Just out of interest, in your opinion would be wasting money/time getting the cavity filled?

Ordinary cavity fill is light fluff, mostly air. If you could get a dense fill in it would help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back