Cavity wall - replacing plasterboard before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am hoping someone will be able to give some advice/confirmation.

I am in the process of ripping out my bathroom and currently am removing tiles. Unfortunately they are double layered so getting them off is taking quite a bit of work and the plasterboards underneath are not surviving. Once removed this is what I will be left with:

E45C3D92-3CD9-4669-9652-8CFD47B74B04.jpeg
8EAFEE53-C899-450C-8618-DBC9E21F98D7.jpeg

They are honeycomb cardboard strips, surprisingly sturdy however I am undecided on how to fit new plasterboard. My plan is to run vertical batons the same size as the cardboard ones and glue and screw them in place. I will then attach the new boards onto these.

Is this a sensible plan? Would you do it differently? My main concern is that with just the cardboard batons I won’t be able to fix it solidly enough and it could all come crashing down once tiled!

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Your "cardboard!" is a [much loved by Local Authorities] paramount partition.

There will be vertical timber between each Paramount board.

You will probably find that the paramount will not be totally "rigid" and prone to slight movement?

To "enhance" your plan?? how about gluing the new plasterboard to the paramount??

Ken.

Thanks for the response, it’s interesting to know the actual name!

Yes the paramount board do move a bit but are surprisingly strong. I didn’t want to fix to just them though as it could compromise their integrity, in fact I removed part of a wall with them in a few years ago and they just fell apart if you peeled off the top layer.

Gluing to them as well is good idea though so thanks for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back