Problem walls after removing bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently renovating my bathroom, and while ripping the tiles out ( 2 layers of tiles) I noticed the internal walls are not the standard stud-work and plasterboard. They are very thin like a cardboard material down the middle so I have nothing to mechanically fix new plasterboard to.

My initial thought was to fill with bonding, apply a waterproofing/tanking agent, and then tile, but the tiles I intend to use are 18.5kg/m2, plus adhesive and grout would take it to 22-25kg.

My next thought is lining the wall with 9mm plasterboard, but there is no stud-work to mechanically fix to, it would have to be fixed with adhesive. This would be ideal and would be the easy way to provide a completely flat surface and allow for immediate tiling, however I’m unsure if an adhesive fix would be suitable.

Can anyone advise?

The other two walls are external walls, while ripping the tiles the render has come off in some areas. I plan to use some form of quick set s/c render to patch in.

I’ve attached a few pics of the same wall to help understand it’s current condition.

I would build a stud wall but I’m extremely tight for space, I’ve only got approx 20-25mm to play with and then it won’t sit flush with the door frame and also the bath will no longer fit.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpeg
    IMG_1426.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1425.jpeg
    IMG_1425.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back