cavity wall - rubble?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi obviously im new and have a house with allot of problems lol.

in my area you get free cavity wall insusulation from the council blah blah so the bloke comes out drills holes in my walls and tells me from about my waist downwards the cavity is full of rubble.

1. how would tis have happened ?
2. if i leave it would it be bad?

thanx.
more questions on the way soon lol

Sponsored Links
Probably shoddy workmanship when it was built.

It can cause damp to penetrate from the outside bricks to the inner ones.

It is possible to rake out the stuff but this is a bit of a job and involves taking out bricks at intervals.

60`s ........awful time for quality.....great time for brickies.....on "the Lump"........bet you`ve got Christmas joints in the outside brickwork..........you always get a big joint @ Christmas :rolleyes: They used to line every 5 courses instead of each one .......and that`s where the 1000 a day urban myth started.........1k bricks a day :evil:

Sponsored Links
Some of the cavities in my place are full of broken bricks and stuff after what appears to be crap workmanship when windows were fitted (previous owner).

As I am keen to get the "fabric" of the building right before I start decorating I am going to have to clear the affected cavities else I will have a penetrating damp issue.

It really gets on my nerves when these so-called tradesmen make errors like that - this particular window "fitter" had no regard whatsoever for the cavity walls and any ensuing problems caused by his incompetence. He fitted PVC in the front and didn't even bother removing the sash weights! :evil:

Nige F said:
.......and that`s where the 1000 a day urban myth started.........1k bricks a day :evil:

Nige, my brickie partner and myself laid 2 thousand bricks on Thursday, had a "job and knock" thousand on Friday, its not an "urban myth" a thousand each can be achieved a day

lol noseall, I do get a couple of "birds eyes" when laying damp concretes, they wear out the skin, and I cant wear gloves, not the same "feel" when laying bricks. Might I add, that the above numbers are by no means every day, it depends on the runs you get, it just so happened we were on a gable end, I suppose an average of 500 a day each would be a fair number. Our record is 900 bricks in 2 hrs

tawelfryn said:
Our record is 900 bricks in 2 hrs

you must have one heck of a labourer or six.

there aint many on this site knows what it feels like to drop that many in two hours. ;)

Its possible to lay 1000 a day or even 7.5 per minute, but the resulting wall is a playground for cats and amature rock climbers. And only tends to look good for a blind man on a galloping horse

I always ask how many of them were good? ie to the line and with the arrises flush. How plumb was it, was it neat, clean and pointed or rendered at the same time with all the compo thrown around and how full were the joints, or just a token bit on the face edge?

Its only really possible to lay bricks fast and accurate when the wall is between thigh and chest high and long, and just fast when in footings or when the wall is thick. When returns and openings are considered then speed drops considerably.

So forgive me, but whenever a brickie says that he *can* lay 'x' amount of bricks it always generates a :rolleyes: as I know that so can anyone else in those specific circumstances and to the same (often rough) quality

Before taking up surveying I was a general contract builder. I lived and worked in Aussie for 18 months and while there worked with an Oz bloke called Tony McCormack - we had a 60:40 deal because he had all the kit. We used to regularly do 10,000 bricks a week and I can assure you the quality was top class.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back