Cavity wall woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hit upon a potential design and construction problem with the cavity walls.

My house is a rectangle with gable on each end. On one end of the house I have attached a flat roof utility room, right under the gable.

The wall cavity continues through the side wall, as if the utility room was not there!

It has now occurred to me that cold air circulating in the cavity will pass through the wall in-between the house and the utility room, thus stealing heat from inside the house.

It seems to me that during construction, we ought to have closed the cavity at the two points where the utility room meets the gable wall.

It is more complicated by the fact that there is gable wall above the flat roof.

I attach a simple diagram showing the ground floor and my supposed draft direction inside the wall cavity.

Attachments

• 2022-12-03 17_08_25-outline.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg
    2022-12-03 17_08_25-outline.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
When did you build the small room?

Isn't there any cavity wall insulation in it? if so there won't be much cold air flying about.

I've seen extensions as yours, some with the cavity carried over, and sometimes not.

Side rooms were built at the same time and their walls are insulated, same as the rest of the house.

But, as the arrows show, we have a wall which runs inside the house and allows cold air to circulate inside its cavity.

You're not making a lot of sense. Can you redo that sketch to show both skins of the walls.

Sponsored Links
Don't think air, let alone cold air circulates around a cavity wall like a central heating circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back