CC WC leaking from cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried repeatedly to secure a new close coupled WC, but am continually getting a leak which runs down each the screws that hold the cistern to the WC. They are the type that have a tapered rubber washer held in place by a steel washer, with steel butterfly nuts at the base. I have tightened these as much as think I should. Anyone have any tips, please?

Sponsored Links
I cured this by changing the steel washers to larger ones which spread the load more and enabled more tightening of the wing nuts. :D

Nice idea, Bahco. I'll try the bigger washers. Thanks. ;)

Have replaced the original washers for larger ones and have tightened the wing nuts as much as I dare but I am still getting a small leak either side. This is driving me insane. Any further advice , Bahco, or anyone? :(

Sponsored Links
If it is still leaking fron the tapered rubbers , drain and remove and apply some silicone around the 2 holes. Let it cure and reassemble and test.

Check that the leak is not coming from the joint where the pan meets the cistern/ If so you will need to replace the donut washer.

Persevere. ;)

Bahco said:
If it is still leaking fron the tapered rubbers , drain and remove and apply some silicone around the 2 holes. Let it cure and reassemble and test.

Check that the leak is not coming from the joint where the pan meets the cistern/ If so you will need to replace the donut washer.

Persevere. ;)

No, it seems pretty dry at the joint; it's just on the washers (now large) and tapered plugs where the seepage occurrs. I'll give it some 785. Thanks again, Bahco. ;)

I'm with dan on this one - put the screw through the hole and then 785 from underneath to fill the void around the screw thread, then the washer and the nut.

Those washers in the cistern have to be stainless, or they'll be a rusty mess soon.

just want to know can you buy these tapered rubber washers on their own. as I need to replace the two in my my cistern . :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back