Ccondensation/damp in upstairs bedroom

GW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into a 1901 semi-detached house and all seemed well until the central heating was turned on about 2 weeks ago. I noticed large patches of mould and peeling wallpaper in the upper corners and ceiling of the upstairs main bedroom. The ceiling has polystyrene tiles and they also seem to have a dusting of mould. I have checked in the attic for signs of water penetration but have noticed a white powdery substance on the bricks of the external wall in the attic. It looks like snow flakes or frosted ice. Is this dry rot? I have noticed no air bricks in the attic and the insulation in the loft is woeful. Would re-isulating the loft help or compound these problems. I think it is due to condensation and lack of ventilation. If so, what should I address first? Would ventillating the loft help the bedrooms? If there is dry rot on the bricks will they need replaced or can they be salvaged? As funds are limited, I would like a solution which provides the maximum benefit whilst the others can wait. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
firstly, dry rot doesnt affect brickwork, it attacks wood. what you are probably seeing on the brickwork is salt deposits that naturally occur in the brickwork coming to the surface. You shouldnt need air bricks in your loft there should be sufficent ventilation through the roof already to achieve that. If the insulation is very thin then top it up. Its a quick job fairly inexpensive and will save money very quickly.

As for the damp in your rooms it sounds like condensation. you dont say if the house has been standing empty for any peiod of time, but all houses have a moisture content. Once you fire up the heating it will have warmed and then condensed again. If you have surfaces such as polystyrene tiles then it will sit on such a surface and fungal spores ie mould will grow. You need to ventilate the rooms, check to see if there are any airbricks around the property just below damp proof course level. If there are make sure theyre not blocked. Open your windows and ventilae the rooms. the house needs to reacclimaise to the moisture level of people living in it. You may need to add in some extra ventilation in some rooms if its still a problem. The mould will clean off with a strong solution of bleach and water, and make sure you do as its not good for your health to leave it hanging about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back