Condensation in Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand how condensation is caused and the only good way to deal with it is to ventilate more (and I read the section in the wiki).

House has solid brick walls and condensation (leading to mould) is forming on the inner walls. Gable end wall has been dry lined so the mould is forming in the bottom corners where the non gable walls meet the gable.

My question is, how to subtly introduce more ventilation? Initially I was going to bore a 2 - 3" hole through the ceiling into the attic in one of the corners were mould forms. Followed by an air brick in either gable to ventilate the attic space.

Does that sound a sensible first step to see if it helps or will I need to install an extractor fan to get any worthwhile air flow?

Sponsored Links
if you ventilate into the loft you will cause condensation up there.

make holes either in the wall, or in the window frames.

cross-flow of air will be most effective.

ventilate out at the top since water vapour is lighter than air, and rises.

however if you make a 105mm hole in the ceiling and attach ducting that you can lead out through the eaves or a hole in the gable wall, that will be effective even without a fan. you can put a plastic grill in the ceiling and a cowelled vent with flap on the outside.

But remember that an airbrick is not some magical panacea for curing condensation.

You may have to make other changes including heating and how you live/produce moisture within the property. Or even rearrange the bedroom furniture. Its a complex arrangement but most of the time condensation is lifestyle related

Sponsored Links
cross-flow of air will be most effective.
In an ideal world I'd have a vent either end of the room then?

Sloping slightly downwards to outside to make sure anything that condenses runs outside?

Whilst doing the one bedroom I may as well do the other too along with the bathroom. Does venting all upstairs rooms seem excessive? I've not really noticed many vent holes in other houses, but then again it's not something I normally look for!

p1186927_l.jpg
p1593654_l.jpg
p1187141_l.jpg

the bathroom needs an extractor fan, wired to come on whenever the light is switched on.

the other rooms do not need such a lot of ventilation. Except perhaps the bedrooms if there is anything warm and moist in there.

You can hire a 110mm core drill and do several in a weekend. They make a lot of dust. Make suree the power tool has a torque clutch so that it will not spin you round and break your arm if it jams.

You can buy brown, grey, red or white plastic cowls to blend in with your brickwork. you can also paint them (before fixing) with a single flowing coat of non-drip gloss (no primer or undercoat)

Tell us about your window frames. maybe you can drill or rout trickle vents in them.

I hope you do not have any undesirable habits such as draping wet washing about the house.

the other rooms do not need such a lot of ventilation. Except perhaps the bedrooms if there is anything warm and moist in there.
Two bodies huffing and puffing moist air all night I believe is the cause.

Tell us about your window frames. maybe you can drill or rout trickle vents in them.
House is listed so I had to pay an arm and a leg for wooden double glazed units with glazing bars. I'd prefer not to drill holes in them, unless nothing else works.

I hope you do not have any undesirable habits such as draping wet washing about the house.
The house is currently rented out, but the condensation in the bedroom was always a problem when I lived there. I'm hoping to increase ventilation in a subtle, yet forced manner as I don't think the current tenants have the same commitment to airing the rooms by opening windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back