Gable wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys but more questions :)

I've calculated the roof insulation for the loft conversion but just in two minds in respect how best to stud and insulate the gable ends to prevent interstitial condensation.

Celotex will need a ventilated air gap but will this mean putting an air brick in or just leaving a gap ?

Alternatively I could try rockwool with foil backed plaster board ?

Thickness isn't really an issue

Sponsored Links
Put your battens up, line them as tightly as possible with your foam, sealing any gaps with expanding foam, cover the lot with a VCL (cheapo, lightweight plastic sheet. Screw your plasterboard onto the battens. You get interstitial condensation, when moist air cools. With my arrangement, the inside of the outside wall should be at the outside temperature and no moist air can get to it as there is a VCL in the way.
Frank

Celotex does not need an air gap when used as internally lined insulation

Sponsored Links
Celotex does not need an air gap when used as internally lined insulation

I understood that you could also get the same effect from the outside coming in ? Meaning that moisture could get trapped between the brickwork and the celotex and rot the studs ?
Is that not the case ? - sure I read it somewhere but tbh I've read so much these last few weeks that my brain is mush !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back