CCTV 4K WIFI Camera recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am looking for a 4k external camera with >90deg fov with an SD card slot, wifi interface, night vision and smart movement detection.
The object is to reduce cabling to a simple locally provided 12V only and not have any centralized NVR.
I have found such cameras for 1080p but not much higher res.

I have a horrible feeling I am expecting to much! All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
To be fair a power cable or batteries needed for Wi-Fi, but run a local Poe plug / switch and connect using a pass through Ethernet over mains plug if you don’t want to run loads of cables.

To be fair a power cable or batteries needed for Wi-Fi, but run a local Poe plug / switch and connect using a pass through Ethernet over mains plug if you don’t want to run loads of cables.
I had thought of POE/Ethernet but it's more parasitic power consumption that I really want to avoid, plus if there were several camera's then the router cupboard would be full of plugs that are the other end (assuming they are point to point). The other alternative seems to either buy some Chinesium junk or accept a lower resolution, such as the Reolink RLC-510WA (5Mp). The problem with the former is the motion detector is almost certainly cr*p leading to tons of false alarms that is something I definitely want to avoid.

To be fair most brands are probably Chinese and if you want something that isn't then you may have to pay a lot more for a similar spec.
Hikvision and Dahua rebrand a lot of their gear for example.

False alarms depend a lot on how the units are set up and the features of the unit to mitigate that.

Old motion sensor technology is the most prone to false alarms especially when pointed towards trees and other items that may move in the wind.

You can have one ethernet over mains plug at the router and several around your property, we tend to use gigabit ones where necessary but 500/600Mbs units may be fine

Look at IPVM calculator online, you can bring up a google image of your property and select a whole range of cameras to get an idea of how they may behave. It isn't perfect but it is a very good guide.

Sponsored Links
To be fair most brands are probably Chinese and if you want something that isn't then you may have to pay a lot more for a similar spec.
Hikvision and Dahua rebrand a lot of their gear for example.
I was thinking of the unheard of brands found on the likes of Ebay, I realize that unfortunately a lot of products are now made in China.
False alarms depend a lot on how the units are set up and the features of the unit to mitigate that.

Old motion sensor technology is the most prone to false alarms especially when pointed towards trees and other items that may move in the wind.
Yes I was hoping to find something with either a PIR or some sort of object recognition rather than just plain anything moving.
You can have one ethernet over mains plug at the router and several around your property, we tend to use gigabit ones where necessary but 500/600Mbs units may be fine
Thank you, I had thought they were just point to point, I will have to look more carefully.
Look at IPVM calculator online, you can bring up a google image of your property and select a whole range of cameras to get an idea of how they may behave. It isn't perfect but it is a very good guide.
Ahh unfortunately that site is $199 a year subscription, I will have to try for something free or just knock something up on a cad package, if all else fails there is always squared paper, pencil and all important eraser :)

I am wondering what new products may come out later in the year especially as Reolink seem to be having a bit of a sell off at the moment, so I may bide my time for a little bit (waiting for utopia to appear)!

:)

The problem with the former is the motion detector is almost certainly cr*p leading to tons of false alarms that is something I definitely want to avoid.
One note on this - you could always use a third party NVR / image processing system to take whatever cameras you have and handle the image processing element. Personally, I've got Hikvision ColourVu cameras and while they are excellent quality with OK in-camera alerting, they are still not perfect and easily fooled by things like headlights at night which results in false alerts.

Over the last 3 months I've moved from using the Hik in-camera smart alerts to Frigate running on an RPi4 and this has been a significant improvement over the default Hik processing, both in terms of latency and false positives. I've still not got it tuned in perfectly, but it's already been a massive step forwards. I'm still using the same cameras, and have the Hik NVR used for recording, but I send 720p, 10fps substreams over to the RPi for image processing and object detection. Combined with hardware h.264 decoding and a Google Coral TPU for object detection, the CPU overhead on the RPi for 6 cameras is around 30-40%, which isn't bad for such a modest piece of hardware! Being able to accept streams from any cameras is a really useful bonus as it means I'm not just limited to using Hik's smart events.

Plenty of other options for doing this too. BlueIris was one that others have used, although I've not done so myself.

The reolink cameras with "Smart" detection should be a lot better than the bog standard motion detection. How good though I can't say!
Some have PIR but I think it's mainly the battery powered ones

Another FOV calculator here:

accusense are pretty decent if setup up correctly, but it takes time frigate will be on my list to have a look at but got texecom one to sort out first but at least its running now on Ha just need to do some bits

One note on this - you could always use a third party NVR / image processing system to take whatever cameras you have and handle the image processing element. Personally, I've got Hikvision ColourVu cameras and while they are excellent quality with OK in-camera alerting, they are still not perfect and easily fooled by things like headlights at night which results in false alerts.

Over the last 3 months I've moved from using the Hik in-camera smart alerts to Frigate running on an RPi4 and this has been a significant improvement over the default Hik processing, both in terms of latency and false positives. I've still not got it tuned in perfectly, but it's already been a massive step forwards. I'm still using the same cameras, and have the Hik NVR used for recording, but I send 720p, 10fps substreams over to the RPi for image processing and object detection. Combined with hardware h.264 decoding and a Google Coral TPU for object detection, the CPU overhead on the RPi for 6 cameras is around 30-40%, which isn't bad for such a modest piece of hardware! Being able to accept streams from any cameras is a really useful bonus as it means I'm not just limited to using Hik's smart events.

Plenty of other options for doing this too. BlueIris was one that others have used, although I've not done so myself.
That's a very good idea, a kind of backup if the camera detection proves to be a problem. One up for IP vs analogue :)
The reolink cameras with "Smart" detection should be a lot better than the bog standard motion detection. How good though I can't say!
Some have PIR but I think it's mainly the battery powered ones

Another FOV calculator here:

Thanks for the FOV calculator, been playing with that one & it gives some pretty startling results but that's only because I am a CCTV newbie. I gave up on PIR's as I couldn't find any sensible 4K cameras with them. In the end I chose Reolink RLC-810A straight 4K POE camera with 256Gb onboard storage, motion detection etc. No floodlights, horns or other paraphernalia that I have an aversion to :)
accusense are pretty decent if setup up correctly, but it takes time frigate will be on my list to have a look at but got texecom one to sort out first but at least its running now on Ha just need to do some bits
Lols well I have Reolink to sort out now once all the kit comes together, I have a feeling it's going to be a long February.

Thank you all for your help.

Just to update you all with my experiences of the RLC-810A's (I had two). The object detection was brilliant as it captured cars, people and cats perfectly and ignored waving grasses and branches BUT both of them repetitively lost there configurations meaning they stopped working frequently. Often a hard reset was required meaning clambering up a ladder to access the camera to unlock them before the configuration could be restored. I have since discovered they knew about this problem here and here there were several other problems with there client software but random lockups of camara's is an absolute showstopper for me so I am returning them for a refund.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back