CCTV - advise required on setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I would like to replace my cheap setup with something that is half useful - current setup is rubbish an is hard to distinguish what the cameras record (joys of buying a "kit" from eBay)

I'm looking at Hikvision, as they seem to be recommended by loads of peeps? But there is literally hundreds of different DVRs & cameras available.

Im only looking for 3 channels as my house is tiny. I already have 6TB WD purple drives.

Help please

Sponsored Links
I upgraded from a cheap system to a hikvision 7608 NVR with 6 x DS-2CD2142FWD-I

While the initial spend was quite a bit I am very happy with the system.

You could go for a Hikvision Turbo DVR and Hikvision TVI cameras, you can use the existing co-ax and power cables and get 5MP.

I recently upgraded an aging system (700 TVL) with the above as it would have been a nightmare to rerun new cables, the results are superb.

DS-7204HUHI-K1 DVR about £100; DS-2CE56H1T-IT3 5 MP TVI camera about £55 each.

Sponsored Links
I'd definitely consider upgrading using Hikvison Turbo. Same if not better picture quality than IP and for almost half-price. IP cameras cost more but you will be paying for feature that you will probably never use.

Last edited:
cameras should be specified on what they need to do.

resolution/ field of view and height they are being installed at are the primary things to consider fit for the job. Then the size of the harddrive for recording.

Night time viewing is another important requirement, and that depends on how much light you have, HIK have EXIR which is certainly better over the spot LED IR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back