CCTV Camera Spec demystification please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to do some reading around it so would appreciate if anyone could make sure I am on the right track and explain a few things:
Cameras are going around the house.
The one with the "further" view required will be a long-view of the back garden. rest will be from room for driveway or nearer.

I understand Sony chipset is good.
1/3" sensor (vs 1/4")
at least 600TVL (lots I see are 800-1000 with 1/3" sensors)
Anything else to look for?
Do they HAVE to glow red in the dark? I would prefer them to be as inconspicious as possible really

Regarding recording I am not clear on this business of D1 recording vs CIF (or some DVR which have D1 on 1 camera only?)
WOuld appreciate clarification on the recoring aspect.
Plan to be slapped onto an 8-16ch dvr with 2TB hdd

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Correct the chipset should ideally be a Sony 1/3" CCD and 600TVL - that said and done, becareful with all the rubbish on ebay as most is chinese and they will print any spec on the sheet........

Compare a Samsung 600TVL to an unbranded 600TVL Chonglesh and the difference is scary.......The Samsung is superb colour definition, on the cheap cams the white is always more blue, low light performance is just no match and on the samsung the IR is virtually invisible to the human eye!

You wonr go wrong with Samsung, Hikvision or AVTECH - for remote viewing software AVTECH is the most accomplished bt far and works with all mobile platforms - check out eagle eyes ( this is their in house software), its perfect and even better than Samsung dare I say it!

aah that's good to know. There is alot of AVTech kit on eBay

Sorry I forgot 1 more question:
Lens focal length.
Some (many) are fixed at 3.6mm lens and others offer 2.8-12.2

The latter are obviuosly more expensive.
What is the benefit of the 2.8-12.2 jobbies over the fixed 3.6mm one please?

Yes , you wont go wrong with AVTECH....I was a JPEG man and a sceptic of H264 machines BUT AVTECH has won me over.....I love the software!

3.6mm lens is simply point and aim.......2.8-12mm means you have control of zoom lens and focus to set and sharpen the picture exactly how you require.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again
Depending on how and where I source the kit from them I guess I can go with a mix-and-match of these 2 types of cameras

Yes no problem to mix cams....just make sure they are all PAL format and not NTSC which is more common in Asia.

On AVTECH becareful to buy UK spec..not the import!

Will do, thanks.
will basically see where I can get the best deal on 8-16ch dvr (avtech or Hikvision preferably) and around 6 camera including couple of varifocal.
Seen a bundle on eBay for around £580. Would ne nice to do better!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back