CCTV cameras with RJ45 connectors

C

cabot

4 camera system fitted to my house .Had no problems with it until the switcher unit where the 4 cameras feed in has packed it.I have checked the dc power adapter and it is ok.Problem is what option do i have apart from throwing the lot out and starting with a new system.Are there camera switchers on the market with this spec or can i fit each camera input with a different socket ? any ideas thanks

Sponsored Links
if you are sure it has packed up you will have to buy a new one. lots out there, how ever it may be better / cheaper if you brought a 4 channel dvr, it lets you record as well as switch

Do the new switchers on the market have RJ45 connections or can i get adapters to suit from somewhere like maplins etc?

I meant to add that the current dead switcher has an infrared control which activates my video recorder .I haven't had a proper look at the market yet due to work commitments so i am not up to date with the current technology available.You mentioned something about a dvd.Can you give me an idea where these can be purchased and the cost involved.

Sponsored Links
You mentioned something about a dvd.

no, no typo, DVR not DVD, since you mention maplin why not look at their website, thats where mine came from, its not great but it works well

I would recommend a DVR that can use twisted pair. It may not be necessary to have an RJ45 connection if you can find which pair is transmitting video and which pair is carrying the power. It will give you more options. Although if you want it to be simple, then you could just replace like for like.

Would it be possible to put a female RGB connecter on to the end of the camera male connections.
The female would have a BNC connection on the other end.
This could then be connected to a switcher or a DVR which had the more commonly used BNC input.
Its a way of utilising the 4 cameras which are all working fine and getting around the problem of having to rip the entire system out

Not sure it would work as i have never used, but there are RJ45 to BNC "Baluns" available which i know a lot of installers use when they want to use CAT5 cable instead of RG59.

Maybe this would be suitable for you, not sure were you can buy from but there is sure to be lots of websites selling them.

thanks
James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back