CCTV camera cable config.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, and apologies for pestering this forum yet again.

A quickie, after having my analog cameras outside for quite some years I found that I had weathered plug/socket problems so decided to cut off old plugs and fit new ones. On some old cctv cable I had it simply had a red/black for power and an inner/braid for signal. Having now chopped off the plugs I find my camera cable has:

One cable with two blacks and two reds (power?)
One cable with two blacks and a yellow (signal?)

How does that match up to the simple '4 wire' cctv cable mentioned previously?

As always, thanks for reading.

Attachments

• cctv wire outs..JPG
    cctv wire outs..JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Have you not still got the plugs so you can test the pin configuration.

If not upgrade the cameras

Cable with red and black …..power 12+ red 0v black
cable with yellow and black ….. yellow video signal ( centre pin of BNC ) black ground outer of BNC …..( common ground with 0v )

Sandy, they have actually been cut off a while with the “I’ll get round to this later” view. Don’t have them now.
Sparky, the cable shown is the one attached to the camera with the duplicated colours I want to understand. The spare bit of cable I have complies with your comment as I have mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Chances are the red and black is power but if you don't have one, invest in a little tester.

Thanks, I do have a tester (my background is in electronics) but the cable(s) I want to 'test' is the one that goes to the camera and I want to establish why the 'power' lead has 2 reds and 2 blacks, and the 'signal' cable has 2 blacks and a yellow (not co-axial, but separate wires). The supply lead (from the DVR) has the colours as suggested by Sparky (red/black power and thin coaxial signal). Originally, the camera had a power plug and a co-ax signal plug connected which I cleverly cut off and binned assuming the resultant cable would be self explanatory ie red/black power and a coax, but, as per the piccy, it seems to have 4 power wires and 3 signal.

Solved. After a bit of playing round I did the obvious. On the power (2 blacks and 2 reds) I bunched them. On the signal, I bunched the blacks, connected blacks to braid and the yellow to the signal (inner). All works. I did try this at first but got no signal so not sure what is different this time.

Thanks (as always) to you all for your interest and assistance.

S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back