CCTV now wants a password!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I purchased a cheapo 4 channel, 2 camera cctv set up some years ago just to ‘test the concept’. It was more for wildlife watching than security. To be honest the camera quality and recording have been perfect for it’s intended usage. It was manufactured by Xenta. On setting up originally, the username was ‘admin’ and it did not need a password (field left blank and I have never set one). I tried to do some reprogram recently and now it is asking for a password! Of course I am certain I have never set one, but did try some of my ‘usuals’ with no luck. I thought if I took the CMOS battery out then I may reset to factory conditions but that has not worked. Any ideas? Thanks. S.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that but it was the first thing I thought of. I actually have the original set up document which indicates the password field is left blank as default. I have always left it as a blank so not sure what has changed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mottie, I did find a website with a selection of default passwords (inc 123456) for various systems but have not had a chance to test as yet.

Regards S

Can you take the main board numbers, search for manufacturer and googe default pw

Have you tried “admin” for pw ?

Just an update, all suggestions tried, including all default passwords suggested for various DVR’s on Google. No luck…I have now taken out the cmos battery for a longer period, may have been too brief first time? Also, despite my recordings appearing to be ok, I have taken out the hdd but am unable to access it when fitted to a hdd caddy and connected to my pc. Will refit cmos battery and different hdd tomorrow. I dropped a note to Xenta about a week ago. No breath holding here I have to admit :eek:. S

Thanks sparky, as you can guess I was hoping it held other imputable info like passwords! I am sure you will be right. Battery goes back in today, if no result it is ‘bin bound’! The scrap of paper purporting to be ‘instructions’ says if the password is forgotten then contact the maker. I have contacted them some time ago regarding extra cameras but despite them still advertising the system on their business products webpage they told me it was out of production. I have contacted them again re password a week ago but no response (and frankly, none expected). They are only in Yorkshire . Shame really, for a cheapo £80 2 camera system it performed very well.

it is likely I will be back on later today with no good news and a final thanks to all who have tried to help me! Sb.

Well the battery replacement and new hdd did no good! I have limited access via my iPad but have no ‘system access’ to allow configuration etc.

Out of interest when I do try various random passwords it does suggest the password should be between 8-16 characters and should contain let’s and nums.

I have sent a final note of help to Xenta but as previously experienced, don’t expect a reply.

So many thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to assist in my plight!

Steviebobs

Update !!!

I misjudged Xenta, they did reply to my message, and I publicly apologise for doubting them!

I was given a number to call (in Goole) and the person was very helpful. Whilst on the phone I accessed my log in page and there was a code number there (8 digits). I gave the number to the man and he gave me a super password. This enabled me to log in and reset to my own password (which I have now set). Apparently the ‘super password’ times out after a period so is theoretically not reusable.

A great result and again, I thank you all.

Steviebobs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back