Advice needed on decent cctv & recorder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to install a wired CCTV camera to my residential property and need some advice from people who know a bit about them. I will try to provide as much information as possible.

My requirements are a hard drive recorder I can just leave plugged in upstairs that will run continuous for 15-21 days which is the maximum I will ever be away. I would like the recorder to preferably be able to record two cameras, one at the front and one of the rear. But essentially the front camera is the main. The house is a semi detached house and it's a two storey house with a lean to porch on the front. I have a 60W PIR light on the porch next to the door and was wanting to install my camera on the roof soffit/eaves above this light facing down my property to the pavement. There are no houses in front and the distance from the house to the road is 10 meters. Because of the position of the camera I would like it to have a field of vision around 120 degrees. I'd like it to have good night vision so it has a clear image, there are street lights but my pPIR light doesn't work until closer to the home than the 10m drive. I'd like the camera to be a little more discreet ie: in a dome or similar to this type

CMOS 600TVL 24 LEDs Day Night Dome Security cctv Surveillance IR Camera | eBay

If anyone can advise me of a few decent set ups I can look into. I was hoping to keep to my budget of £300 but not sure what this will buy?

Sponsored Links
Hiya, I have just bought a 1TB hard drive recorder, they say you need about 250 Gig per camera at a decent frame rate - my frame rate is set at 25, which is brill picture quality but does use space. I have 2 cameras connected and they last about 14 days before overwriting, that said if I turned the frame rate down you do not use so much space, as others have mentioned, TVL lines are not the only factor that give a good picture, it is to do with the chip in the camera and getting the correct lense, not sure if you are allowed to link to web pages but there is a good guide here - well worth a read -

http://www.cctv42.co.uk/camera-buying-guide.aspx

Hi, thanks for the link, I've had a quick read and some good info there, I'm going to read it fully and make some notes. Can I ask what recorder you bought just to have a look for an idea of spec and price. Did you purchase from that site or just use it for info? It seems to recommend the zoom lens for getting a better focus on where you need it to be.

Yes, got all my stuff from them, good guys and helpful. I went for a 4 channel DVR, they are all D1 recorders so have good picture quality, avoid CIF - rubbish quality, you can have motion record, but to be honest it is easier to leave them recording all the time and use the motion sensor to mark the recording to save you having to wade thru it all to find your events. Cameras did seem a nightmare to me, I went for the black eyeball style with 2.8 to 11 lens which gave me an idea of what it could do , the smaller the area you try and cover, the better the quality. I use this to cover a set of stairs leading to the back door and the quality is very good as a small area, then I went for a 4 to 9 lens to cover the rest of the garden. if the camera over looks other gardens etc.... you can blank out sections on the recorder . would recommend spend a quality camera if you can as I did buy a cheap one and the quality at night was pretty bad, cheers

Sponsored Links
Could someone who knows more about them let me know if this is a good deal? I have the chance of what I believe is a good price new.

Complete 4 camera Colour CCTV system
Includes:- Recorder, Cameras, Cables & Accessories
Still in the box straight from the shop

DVR Features:

HD 960H, WD1 & WCIF Resolution Recording & Playback
4 Channel Video & 2 Channel Audio
HDMI, BNC & VGA outputs
H.264 Video Compression
Easy Operation via USB Mouse, Touch panel, Remote Control or Network
Convenient Backup to USB Flash Drive or Internet
Smart Phone & Tablet Access
Remote\Network access from both PC & MAC
1TB Hard Drive
Up to 30 days High Resolution recording & 90 days Standard Resolution recording
Intelligent Motion Detection records only when cameras see movement and triggers instant Email Alerts with Snapshots.

Camera Features:

HD 960H Resolution
20m IR Night Vision
Tamper Resistant
Weather Proof (IP65 Rated)
Wide Angle Lens
Cable Managed Bracket
Durable High Quality Metal Housing

Easily Installed
Mount Cameras
Connect Cameras to DVR
Connect DVR to you TV\Monitor
Connect DVR to Internet

All depends is it a no name Chinese unit ? With no support if you have any problems with it ?

Lol see what you mean, I will send a message and find out what make, it's someone at work selling them on a deal as I presume they bought one and the more they sell/recommend they will get a percentage themselves for the sale.

IQCCTV 4 channel kit complete with HD960 DVR with a choice of a bullet camera's or dome camera's

If this helps?

Is there anything else I should be asking on this?

I had a look today and the cameras are on their own separate power supply, they just connect up to one supply.

I don't know if IQ is a known brand or Chinese?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back