CCTV on farm barn/ grain store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DVR - I'm looking at the viola m8 DVR with 2Tb drive. I had a play with the 4ch version and it seems very intuitive, and has all the remote access capability required for a relatively low budget unit. I've tried some AVtech stuff, and found the interface etc awful. Open to alternative suggestions on this though.

Cameras - I'm likely to go with these http://cctvsuppliersuk.co.uk/produc...tv-vldprow5-daynight-vandal-dome-pro-version/ Seen a couple in action as was very impressed, but again open to criticism and alternative suggestion.

Now my main questions
2 of the cameras will be mounted on the rear of the building. Cable length will be approx 100m to the office where DVR/PSU will be located. Should I be going 12v or 24v for the system? Cat5 with baluns, or coax/shotgun cable?

many thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Check the Intrinsic Safety ratings needed for electrical equipment in a grain store as the dust levels are frequently high enough to create the hazard of a dust-air explosion.

Hi have fitted loads of these cameras and are very good ( samsung chipset) if its a long cable run 24v ac if you are powering from the office, 12v if you are powering local. shotgun cable if from the office cat 5 if local powering. check that the domes you are ordering are dual voltage 12/24 as some versions are 12v only, the only down side is the domes ( plastic) will get dull over the years if in direct sunlight, but you can get replacement covers.

Check the Intrinsic Safety ratings needed for electrical equipment in a grain store as the dust levels are frequently high enough to create the hazard of a dust-air explosion.

Hi thanks for the advice, but all cameras and cabling will be external of the grainstore. DVR etc will be in a seperate building across the access road.

Sponsored Links
Hi have fitted loads of these cameras and are very good ( samsung chipset) if its a long cable run 24v ac if you are powering from the office, 12v if you are powering local. shotgun cable if from the office cat 5 if local powering. check that the domes you are ordering are dual voltage 12/24 as some versions are 12v only, the only down side is the domes ( plastic) will get dull over the years if in direct sunlight, but you can get replacement covers.

thanks for that. Yes, I'm aware of the domes dulling. I replaced some on some cameras that were already up at another site, and was really impressed with the images, even on a real cheapy dvr that I bought just to play with initially.

I don't suppose anyone knows anywhere that has these with a trade/reseller discount?

It will be much easier to power the cameras from the office so that the electrical requirements is nothing more than a couple of sockets. I assume 100m would be classed as a relatively long cable run, so sounds like 24v on shotgun coax is the way to go.

thanks

hi dynamic-cctv thats the cheapest trade supplier thats been around at least 10 years now, i think they come with 3 if not 5 years warranty, never had to send any back in last 6 or 7 years. 94 plus vat for pro version 12/24 with balun built in.

thanks, yeah I tried them, but as I'm not established as an installer yet they won't give me a trade account.... chicken?egg? egg?chicken?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back