CCTV Questions

I'll start my post by saying that I am not trade and have only installed a couple of "nobby" home systems.

But....

On the expensive Dedicated Micro's system at work, I find the auto patrolling PTZ rather useless, always seems to be looking the wrong way at the wrong time.

On the other hand, the PTZ's would be mega useful if they were "manned"

I suppose this depends on how big the site is and how many patrol presets you have got set up per camera, as well as the dwell time.

There may even be some guidance for the maximums.

Sponsored Links
Can't give specific comments about any of the products you listed, for obvious reasons. - we don't use them.

What diy often call expensive (low end trade,) we may call vfm/budget. It is rare, but not unknown, for a diyer to fit mainstream trade product. I know one diy guy who tried the budget/cheap route and ripped it out. Went overboard with Samsung cameras and Techwin DVR and couldn't believe the difference in quality.

I do find it odd that in general. JP will insist on buying cheapest kit possible whilst trying to convince themselves anything else is a waste of money yet will happily pay top dollar to buy the latest must have power tools and such like.

Hi everyone,

I have had lots of experience using the Apollo DVR range, I found them to work very well in terms of recording quality, features and ease of use.

If you have any questions about the Apollo DVR's just ask.

As for the motion tracking I remember seeing a product that will automate a PTZ camera but I'm not sure how much the box costs . Here's the link

http://www.ioimage.com/?p=video_analytics&ClusterID=302&ParentID=676

As for the sens-up feature on some camera's check this video out (bottom of page)

http://www.qed-online.co.uk/pages/qed-product-school.html

Hi everyone,

I have had lots of experience using the Apollo DVR range, I found them to work very well in terms of recording quality, features and ease of use.

If you have any questions about the Apollo DVR's just ask.

As for the sens-up feature on some camera's check this video out (bottom of page)

http://www.qed-online.co.uk/pages/qed-product-school.html[/QUOTE]

now watch it again BUT dont take your eyes of the second hand on the test clock - the only reason you can see it is because the frame rate has been slowed right down to 1 or 2 FPS to compensate. All other motion is simply a blur, reflections whiteout and colors bleed into each other

I`ve sold these things they simply don`t work in real life

snake oil.

Sponsored Links
The effect is called frame intergration and this feature exists on very expenecive town center quality camera's. It is an easy way of gaining better images without adding extra lighting or IR illuminators.

The effect is called frame intergration and this feature exists on very expenecive town center quality camera's. It is an easy way of gaining better images without adding extra lighting or IR illuminators.

just as long as it doesnt move - a CCTV device cannot see in the dark it really is that simple.

It comes down to - Do you want to record nothing but black or something that maybe of use. If visible light or IR illunimation can't be used for any reason then these sens-up cameras really work.

If your cameras record nothing but black during the night why have them recorded?

Personally I think sens-up is a real benefit to the DIY CCTV market.

Personally I think sens-up is a real benefit to the DIY CCTV market.

at the risk of repeating myself - until something moves

Anyone can sell sens up, I guarantee the O/P the first time he wants to see what happened all he will get is a blur across the screen. You cannot alter the way light works.

No you cannot alter the way light works.

But at the risk of repeating myself - Do you want to record nothing but black or something that maybe of use?

Boltos1, For the Apollo, There seems to be very little difference in the low end HD and the higher end 4 channel devices. There are some such as multi hard drive/raid capability and better recording rates in the higher units. Given practical experience, whats the pros and cons of each unit.

Surely for the DIY'er a good mix of security is the best option i.e. a decent CCTV system supplemented by some PIR security lighting.

Each to their own. But funny how some ask for advice, don't like what they get and then all is well when someone posts info that finally tells them what they want to hear. If i was spending £2k ??, i'd take note.

basiclly they are now shipping the Apollo HD along side the Apollo .

The HD comes with a hdmi output and the output resolution can be changed, but i can't remember the resolutions. (although they aren't widescreen and it doesn't do 1080i/p) Also it doesn't come with a DVD writer drive just a USB port, it's a much slimmer unit and doesn't require fans for cooling.

As for the different versions, it comes down to what fps you want to record at, they all do D1(4CIF) resolution but they have different fps budgets so some will record a maximum of 6 fps per channel and some will record at 25 fps.

I don't have a booklet infront of me so I can't tell you exactly what each version will do.

Where are you going to buy your Apollo from ?

I would go for 6 fps @D1, this is good enough for a decent recording

Boltos1, I haven't decided Apollo is the final choice, just thought it looked ok when I compared specs with a few others. There seems to be a few places selling it with widly varying prices.

Barsteward, you have me wrong. I've not stated anywhere I don't like what I hear. I'm merely trying to ask a few novice technical questions and qualify the answers, nothing wrong with that. Boltos offered a response to a specific product question I asked. Just the same as comments I have from you and others about specific questions. I consider them all and make my own judgement, don't we all. Its nothing to do with "what I want to hear".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back