CCTV Remote Access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some security cameras running on a recorder/server wired into the home network, and I can watch any of the cameras on a PC connected to the network by wire or WiFi. The system works well.
The problem I have is connecting remotely over the web. The camera server has a fixed IP address and my Virgin cable connection also has a fixed address, so I should be able to access it easily, but I can't.
The camera server uses port 9000, the Virgin router firewall passes port 9000, and I have set port forwarding of 9000 to the camera server. But I can't get a connection.
I have UPnP turned off for security reasons, but I understand that I shouldn't need it for this setup.
Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
If you can access correctly over wifi or LAn but not internet then clearly it isn't setup right somewhere.

Can you give model numbers or some of your equipment, you dont mention if its IP cameras with an NVR, or standard coaxial camera with a DVR.

Anyway, stuff i'd check is follows.

- Just port 9000? No others? And are you forwarding the right protocol (TCP or UDP) if your modem/router gives you the choice.

- Is the DVR setup right, correct IP, subnet mask and Gateway.

- Is your app setup right, typically you would have 2 seperate connections in the App, one for connecting at home on wifi, usually a 192.168.x.x address, and another using your static internet address.

- Is your phone setup right, clearly you need to be on wifi for connecting when your at home, BUT you need to make sure to use 3g for testing connections over the internet. I.e dont try testing a connection over the internet while your at home and using your home wifi.

Thanks for the comments!
It's a DVR with analogue cameras. The DVR is a standard OEM device that seems to sold under various brands, and uses the 'Multi-Client' software that again seems to pop up in various guises.

The DVR setup offers default ports of 9000 for 'Media' and 80 for 'Web'. I'm certain that its network settings are correct and it works fine over the local network. I've set port forwarding of 9000 to the DVR. The cable router firewall passes 9000 but I've also tried turning the firewall off.

I've also repeated everything using port 80 instead of 9000.

Remotely, I'm trying to connect with a Windows laptop using the same Multi-Client software, over a 3G connection. I hope that answers your questions.

Hi

The ports are not correctly open otherwise it would work, you can check using dmz if your router supports this, if you are still stuck i can look at for as you are located in london.

Saj

Sponsored Links
Gateway IP definately correct? Would still work over wifi if it wasnt.

You seem to say your only opening the ports one at a time, why not open everything it might need, also if it asks for port 80 its almost always a web interface so have you tried browsing to your internet address to see if it has a web client?

I usually use t1shoopers port scanner to check if ports are open before testing anything.

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

Do it from your cctv site and it will tell you if your ip is the same as you thought and tell you if your ports are really open. (only tcp ports, not udp ports)

Thanks Jibbeh. I have got this to work now - defaulted the video server and the router, then re-entered all the settings. It all looks the same as before, but it now works. Something must have hung up somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back