CCTV system and positions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve purchased a swann 4 camera 1080p heat sensing 1tb system from Maplins today and had the following questions:-

1. Are Swann any good? Maybe a bit late for me to ask this but thought I would as not opened it yet.

2. Is this system any good for just a residential house (detached)?

3. I plan to house the recorder in my loft which will also make it easy to run the cables. Any concerns running one of these in a loft 24x7?

4. Could you offer me any advise on where to locate the cameras and how high up? I was thinking of putting one at the top of the house looking over the front drive. Another lower down but looking at the front door. Then one on the side of the house trying to look at side door but also get a view of my sheds up the garden. And finally another one looking at my patio doors?

Hope you can help and look forward to your recommendations.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Swann are a budget range
Siteing camera with fixed lens cameras will be critical to what images you want ?
1TB storage with 4 cameras will depend on how you set the system up ?

I have my Hikvision in loft running 24x7 with no problems. You do not want the cameras too high as you will be just looking down on stuff and miss important things like people's faces. Mine are high enough that an average person could not reach and touch them but low enough to get a good view on things. 1TB with constant record at high quality won't last to long I have 6 cameras with 2 x 2TB. I would set some up with motion rather than constant record this will extend recording.

Hikvision every time.....Swann is junk as is the new budget hi watch series.....

Hik or Samsung or if you wanna talk dirty then Qvis is the best of the low end..

Sponsored Links

3. I plan to house the recorder in my loft which will also make it easy to run the cables. Any concerns running one of these in a loft 24x7?
Thanks
Heat in the summer won't be good for the recorder, and lofts can get very hot

Ok so I’ve unboxed it and have another query.

The camera has a 1 mtr long cable coming out the back with a BNC and 12v jack connector on. These then have to be plugged into the main run of cable the goes into the loft via the eves.

My question is. Is it ok for these connectors to be left exposed to the weather? Maplin seem to think that’s fine as it’s low voltage. But it does mean having s 12v power connection that will get wet and a BNC one.

Seems a little odd to me but I’m no professional.

Any ideas

No it will fill with water and corrode , and no doubt it's a crappy power supply with no fuses just a spitter so you then lose all the cameras when one gets water in it !
Most quality cameras have a waterproof base to do your connections in , seem waterproof junction boxes fitted which look naff or self amalgating tape used , other option is 20mm conduit down to camera with an end / angle box join out in this !

All my cameras are fitted under the eaves so all th connectors are in the loft.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I could put mine all up under my eves so the connections were inside the loft but I was under the impression mounting them that high would make them ineffective at facial detection? It would be my preference to mount them higher if people feel its the best thing for me to do?

I do have an indoor camera that watches the front door so this could be used to detect faces if an intruder entered, however my back and patio doors don't have this.

Thanks for the idea of the junction box... I searched my local screw fix and found this:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneide...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CP_A64PvttcCFUrIUQod3NoPyQ

I assume these would be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back