CCTV system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on a decent CCTV system for my house please.

I will need 6 cameras and two will be outdoors.

I want good clear images and beyond that I'm after advice on which features I should be looking out for.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry to see you haven't got a reply yet - probably because this question has been asked so many times and you can find all the answers by browsing through the forum.

One point you need to mention up front is how much you are prepared to pay. Good luck!

:(
My budget is around £500-£600 and I will have a trawl through other forums too. Any suggestions from you?

I've gone through the old posts now and can see that there are a few posts but most of them are over a year old. With advances in technology, that's too old to be relevant in my opinion. I am hoping that someone can advise me based on current tech.

Sponsored Links
There is not enough information to base an accurate response.

I went looked at a job asked the customer what they wanted it to do, 5 cameras to meet there requirements (expectations of function) with the NVR was well over your budget for the system parts not even looked at labour.

To get a good looking picture can be done cheaply especially in day time, at night its more difficult, but doesn't mean its any good for evidence.

Now the reason they wanted to change is because someone had put in a system that was a pile of rubbish, 6 cameras for x is not the way to do it.

Each view point needs to be considered for its purpose and cameras specified accordingly. (4 internal cameras?)

So my question is what do you want the camera to be capable of and at what distance in what light conditions.

Buy less BUT buy the best you can afford...Samsung or Hikvision seem to be all the trend currently...

Thanks for the replies.
@secureiam I find that providing too much detail can be counter productive as some people don't bother reading and therefore responding but since you've requested it, here goes...

I would like two cameras outside the house and 4 inside the house. I want the internal to be dome cameras as opposed to bullets as they are less invasive. I want one of the internal cameras to support sound and speaker functionality. I want everything to be HD quality. I have a large open field at the back of my house. The field stretches over a large area so good visibility here and particularly in the dark would be very useful. I work in IT so very fond of features that may be innovative...

I want large storage capacity so that media isn't constantly over-written.

I "think" I prefer PoE as it feels like the future direction and if necessary, I can switch cameras and DVR's in the future. I also need to understand if CAT6 is supported and also whether it is recommended over CAT5.

I would like to lay the cables now (ethernet) and buy a couple of cameras and then buy the rest as I have money. In the first instance, I want to buy a decent system and not compromise on this.

Also, I am concious that I only know what I know. This could mean that I am overlooking a key feature that exists and would be beneficial.

Over to you.

okay lets stop you a second.

A camera needs to do a function.

so I can detect a moving blip in your field but that could be a couple having some fun, don't really need to identify who they are?
someone comes to the edge of the field to the border of your houses garden (potential threat), they come a little closer and are very close, I now need to recognise if they are friend or foe, they start doing damage or attempting to break in I need to be able to identify them so the police can capture them.

so detection of someone doesn't need anything swish
identifying someone needs a resolution good enough at whatever distance you require it.

http://ipvm.com/calculator is a tool with some camera data selectable, get your co-ordinates in and you get a view of your property (unless its relatively new).

It gives an estimation of what you will see based on a cameras spec.

Camera sited in same spot:-
A 2.8mm gives a wide field of view (fewer cameras needed to cover a particular area)
a 4mm camera is a closer view but not as wide (may need additional cameras to cover the same area that the 2.8mm camera covered)

if your covering a wider area with the same resolution camera, the pixel density is lower at the same distance away from the camera.

http://www.dtsdigitalcctv.co.uk/CCTV-Camera-Lens-Guide.asp

it will vary from manufacturer and each camera a manufacturer makes.
If you get a varifocal lens you can adjust it for the correct field of view and ensure the resolution is high enough, to achieve what you need it to achieve, ie identification or detection etc.

If you want to view those at the end of the field geta PTZ, but remember when a PTZ is looking at an object in a field, its missing the view that you may be vulnerable from.

Thanks for the response and the links contained within.

so I can detect a moving blip in your field but that could be a couple having some fun, don't really need to identify who they are?
someone comes to the edge of the field to the border of your houses garden (potential threat), they come a little closer and are very close, I now need to recognise if they are friend or foe, they start doing damage or attempting to break in I need to be able to identify them so the police can capture them.

I completely agree with the above. When I used the link you sent through, I got the following metrics:
upload_2016-4-7_21-49-50.png

So, based on the above and the information I provided in the earlier posts, are you able to make a recommendation?

I am happy to provide any additional info.

you are wanting to spy on people in the field?

so basically what this is saying a 12.9mm lens (fov 21 degrees) can just about be used at a distance of 22m away to view an 8m wide strip at 230pixels a meter just short of identity criteria of 250 pixels a meter in a non challenging environment. I am guessing the field is much longer than 8m?

If the field was 80 m long and 22m away from where the camera is mounted and you wanted to cover it all you need 10 cameras????? I am guessing the field is much bigger.

or your telling me you want to recognise someone 22m away distance from mounting to edge of your garden and the garden wall is 8m long ish?

Because I have no idea from the data you have published what you are trying to do, you need a good IR probably EXIR of at least 30M range that's smart so it automatically adjusts.

sorry, those numbers may have been off.
my garden is around 12 metres deep and the field probably extends another 100 metres on from this. The field is also much wider than my garden. I hope this paints a picture.

I am only interested in encroachment of my boundary or any attempts at this. As such I would need clear visible pictures within this range. Does that seem reasonable?

With this in place and the requirements I specified in my earlier post, do you have enough information to recommend a model of CCTV system?

Thanks for your help.

so the end of your garden is 12 m from the house, how wide is the garden at the end?

The depth of my garden is 12 metres and it is 9 metres wide.

so a 4MP 1/3" sensor lens 2.8 fov 81.20 at a distance of 6 Meters away would give a 10m wide strip at id resolution of 261ppm (identify in a non challenging environment).

at 3m away this would give a 5m wide strip and 527ppm. (Identify in a challenging environment)

at 12m away you you have 130ppm at over 20m wide. (Recognise)

250-500ppm is identify in good to challenging conditions.
125ppm is recognise someone you have seen before
62.5ppm able to observe and pick out distinctive clothing

Your not going for inspect which is 1000ppm that's basically the image taking up the whole of the 1080pixels

So you need to understand what area your viewing at what distance away from the camera in a straight line, realistically the real distance is longer due to the mounting hieight, too highly mounted and you going to get tops of heads not faces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back