CCTV system

In that situation I'd use a separate IR illuminator rather than an IR-equipped camera.
It will give a much better spread of IR light, and avoid the problem of spider webs across the camera lens.

Sponsored Links
Any suggestion on the DVR and camera kit I should be going for?

Sponsored Links
ok...
back to reality, I can spend around £500-600. What should I be considering?

I have an Apollo A-Data system I self installed about 5 years back for something like your budget. 8 cameras and 1Tb DVR covers a wide area and decent enough image quality with Q-Vis cameras, probably better for the same money now. I have also today un-boxed my dead cheap but amazing Sricam PTZ HD IP cam. This is used as a "bolt on" located on a prominent corner and is great. I have 5x optical zoom, can spin around all over to see whatever I could from the same location. Downside is it only records to sd in the unit (not the most secure) but for £80 I am chuffed!

In all fairness on your budget go to maplin and pick up one of their HD kits. They usually have one set up so you can judge the image quality yourself.

Maplin is where I started...
They strongly favour Swann and I picked up some concerns with Swann on this forum

Perhaps it's overly simplistic of me but I was hoping that I could get recommendations for a domestic CCTV system based on my requirements. I've pulled all of them together to make this easier:

- HD quality

- 2 outdoor cameras and 4 inside

- please note that my garden is 12 metres deep and joins a large open field. I would want good detection in this area, especially if someone is approaching my boundary

- would like a PTZ function for one of the internal cameras

- would also like speaker and mic functionality with the above camera. This is only required for the above camera

- I would like bullet (or appropriate cameras outdoors) and dome indoors.

- decent recording capacity

- PoE seems the way to go? If yes, can I use CAT 6 cable and is this recommended

- as a geek, I’m very interested in other features that I may be missing from the above.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a Swann setup. It was a useful learning experience.
I learned how to install CCTV, and what to avoid.

So I threw it all away and bought HikVision.

(Actually it wasn't all wasted, the cameras are now dummies on neighbours' houses)

trouble is did the hikvision DVR alone blow this guys budget?

PTZ is not cheap but to be honest as an internal camera not many about except the IP cameras you find here and there.

Maybe you should invest in a Decent DVR and build your camera system gradually rather than buy the system outright and you can
still install all the cabling.

I dont use POE but it is very convenient way of supplying power to the cameras i guess....

As for using cat 6 against cat 5 think there is a lot more to cat 6 installation than just laying the cable to achieve its
full potential and unless you are using a massively high end camera pretty sure you will never know the difference.

Fitted an PTZ internally recently cost was over £700 (Honeywell).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back