CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of installing a basic CCTV system in my new house (at first fix electrical stage) ideally i would want 2 cameras, one at the front and one at the rear. I woudn't need a recording facility just to be able to change the t.v channel to pick up the different cameras.

I was looking at this one.
R493504-01.jpg

3 questions:

1. What cables do I need to put in place. I presume a 12VDC power supply to the camera but what else?

2. Will it be possible to have the two cameras connected together as described above, and if so how would i go about it?

3. Would it be possible to do it in such a way that the cameras are viewable from every coax point in the house?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bryan[/img]

Sponsored Links
Depending on the specifications ofthe camera (and its connections) you will need:

Coax, (not the stuff you use for an aerial, but satelite should be ok)
BNC connectors
BNC ratchet crimper
12v stableised power supply
RF modulator
2 channel switcher
cable for the 12v (alarm cable is fine)
camera housing

The above assumes the camera is an ordainiry cctv camera, these produce a signal (picture) on a frequency your TV can not pick up, that is why you need a modulator.
As you want 2 cameras you will need a switcher to switch between the 2 cameras

I think for what you want you would be better off with a "kit" see this

I would run rg59 to each camera, with an alarm cable for power (from a central PSU).

put two modulators in, one set to one UHF channel, and the other to a different one. Make sure these channels are not the same as your VCR, SKY, or BBC1, 2, ITV, CH4, CH5 etc.

The modulators would be best fitted adjacent your loft box or booster in the roof space. You can then tune any tv to the cameras.

Labgear do a loft box (MRX range) which has inputs for the sky box, tv aerial, DAB, FM and the CCTV. Other makes also do manufacturer them.

For the first fix stage, just run rg59 and an alarm cable (or 2 core flex) from each camera position to the loft where the other TV cables are being run. You can sort out loft boxes/modulators/PSU's then.

What's the type of cable that can supply 12v DC power and the return video feed in one which does away with two cables (power+video)?

I had a sparky out wiring CCTV in some of my outbuildings using camera's more or less identical to the above and he ran just a single video cable to each camera returning to a switcher.

Or maybe the camera must support this method.

Sponsored Links
it depends on the camera as to what it requires. "proper cctv" requires supply and co ax

the cameras that send it all down the coax are called line fed

thanks very much for the replys, do i need two modulators for the two cameras? Will i then be able to, lets say have cam1 tuned to channel 5 and cam2 tuned to channel 6 on each television? could anyone point out an appropriate modulator, perhaps one from RS. Would I be right in thinking that the loft box would replace the modulator(s).

no, you need a loft box and two modulators. I wouldn't try and run more than two modulators, you will run out of bandwidth with your VCR's, Sky, and television channels!

i have no links for modulators at present - will look later.

Spark123 said:

Yes, and I wont bother again!

We got called out to a job to second fix where that stuff was used. Its good in thery, but what happens at each end??

You have to chocblock RG59 to it for the BNC's to the MUX, then depending on the cameras you have the same prob at the other end.

And overall it leads to signal loss!

You can get RG59 with power pairs running along side, looks a bit like the cable telewest uses.

A company that make intercoms manufacturers a composite cable for the video intercoms. It has a standard rg59 inside it, and then has 0.75mm flex cores around it. All colour coded for their range of kit - no thinking neccessary.

BFT.

You can put the bnc directly onto their cable, although you are still left with how to terminate it neatly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back