CDA Fan oven strange problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not an appliance engineer but as an electrician I have replaced a few oven elements in my time.

Anyway my own oven started playing up yesterday, was cooking for 9 people and it had been on about during the morning.

During a critical time (just as I was getting the Yorkshire pudding in) the oven wouldn’t go above 175 degrees.

The light was in indicating that it was heating but it wasn’t and the temperature continued to fall.

Later in the day when everyone had left I tried it agajn and it worked fine, got to 220 degrees in about ten minutes.

Is it possible that something may be breaking down after extended usage? I’m scared to commit to any type of repair with it being intermittent!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As you will well know intermittent faults are difficult to find and unless someone has had exactly the same fault I doubt anyone here will pinpoint it. The only suggestion I can make is try it again a few more times for longer than 10mins, there is always the possibility it was a one off. Did the red light cycle on and off once it got up to temp the second time. Is it possible you do not have enough ventilation and the O/H stat tripped. Could you accidentally have had it on Auto and it timed out.

As you will well know intermittent faults are difficult to find and unless someone has had exactly the same fault I doubt anyone here will pinpoint it. The only suggestion I can make is try it again a few more times for longer than 10mins, there is always the possibility it was a one off. Did the red light cycle on and off once it got up to temp the second time. Is it possible you do not have enough ventilation and the O/H stat tripped. Could you accidentally have had it on Auto and it timed out.
Thanks for the reply, it’s greatly appreciated!

Yes the red light did cycle on and off, I could tell the oven temperature was dropping because I could see I had to turn the know lower and lower to get the red light to come on over a period of time.

I didn’t realise they had an overheat stat, do most ovens? If so that is a real possibility as it had been on all morning but it wasn’t until I turned the heat up from 180 to about 220 that I noticed the problem.

I’m not sure about the automatic timer, I’ll have to read the instructions but I dismissed that because the red light was still on and the fan was running even though it wasn’t heating.

"I didn’t realise they had an overheat stat, do most ovens?" Yes as far as I am aware, as does anything that is a heat source.

Sponsored Links
I have a CDA a 900mm range one and it has an internal fan - not the fan element as I think it kicks in at around 175 degrees to keep the internal controls cooler so maybe the fault was with that. It also has an over run so it stays on after the oven is turned off.
I know mine is working because it makes a bit of a racket as its either on its way way out (bearings) maybe or something is vibrating on it.

I also had a problem with the fan element - it had blown but not fully so it was only partly working so not getting full heat out of it.
I have also had a problem with the main switch that had worn out and was told at the time of it being fixed that its best practice to first turn on the oven with the switch and then turn up the stat from zero as turning the stat up first then the oven means that the switch is sparking arcing (wrong faze) with power. The switch is very mechanical with metal tabs ect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back