Ceiling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a pretty crappy ceiling going on in my dining room that I want to fix up, but I don’t know how, as I’m unsure as to what exactly is going on up there

9894ACE2-03F3-4E54-AF96-196D0E5CC03F.jpeg

710C68E3-3281-4B30-810B-9BC5FD6EE7B1.jpeg

102C2275-611B-4D17-BB4B-ABA172845AA3.jpeg

As you can see it quite shiny and textured, I’ve picked some off to try and see whats underneath - it comes down in layers all stuck together, so paint, plaster etc

I poked up through the crack, where the hole is and it feels like laths, so wondered what I’d have to do to restore the ceiling and remove the crappy shiny paint?

Sponsored Links
Only a DIY'er, but looking at that ceiling, I would over-board - especially if it's lath and plaster, it will save so much effort and mess.
If this is a downstairs room, your joists should hopefully be up to supporting an additional load.
I have done this myself, and had a decent result - taping and filling tapered edge boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back