Matt emulsion appears slightly shiny

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following slight damage to a newly-plastered and painted ceiling, I filled a small hole where plaster had dropped off (a screw head underneath), then touched up with white matt emulsion, hoping to match the rest of the ceiling.

Unfortunately, the patch has dried slightly shiny compared to the rest of the ceiling. I used a paint brush, whereas the decorator used a roller. Could this be the reason? Alternatively, did I perhaps spread the paint too thinly?

What is my best course of action? It's only a very small area, so I don't want to get the decorator or plasterer back if I can do it myself.

Sponsored Links
On a few occasions I have simply sanded down the area, only lightly but it seems to do the job. It takes away a bit of the mat emulsions shine.

As for the decorator using a roller and you not that can only make a difference over a large scale I would imagine its because you haven't added as thicker coating.

Its flashing where you have touched up. Guess you could try a very light rub down but really the only way to get rid is to re-paint the whole ceiling. You've been a bit unlucky as sometimes you get away with it sometimes you don't, alot depends on the natural light and some paints touch up better than others.
A paint brush does apply paint thicker than a roller so in future it would be better to touch up with a mini roller but like i said you may or may not get away with it

Thank you both for your very helpful advice. It is hardly noticeable, except when you stand in a certain position with the touched up area between the light source and viewer.

Nevertheless, I shall try a light sanding down and, if that doesn't work, try to cover it up using a roller. I certainly won't be painting the whole ceiling, though!

Thank you both again. I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
It is hardly noticeable, except when you stand in a certain position with the touched up area between the light source and viewer.

You need a psychiatrist not a decorator.

It is hardly noticeable, except when you stand in a certain position with the touched up area between the light source and viewer.

You need a psychiatrist not a decorator.

Pots and kettles! :rolleyes:

Edit: There's something wrong with this forum. It refused to accept my reply, then posted it twice. Still, I suppose it's worth saying twice!

Its flashing where you have touched up. Guess you could try a very light rub down but really the only way to get rid is to re-paint the whole ceiling. You've been a bit unlucky as sometimes you get away with it sometimes you don't, alot depends on the natural light and some paints touch up better than others.
A paint brush does apply paint thicker than a roller so in future it would be better to touch up with a mini roller but like i said you may or may not get away with it

I agree.

thinning the paint may help to reduce the sheen difference

Following slight damage to a newly-plastered and painted ceiling, .
The dec. probably used a non vinyl trade matt - have you dabbed it with a vinyl matt paint ? Ideally you want the same paint and apply a small patch with a micro fibre cloth dabbing it on to mimic the effect of a roller ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back