Ceiling crack repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, in my en suite I’ve got a crack on the ceiling, it’s perfectly straight and nothing above, so I guess this is where the join is.

In the past (different house) I’ve used the fibreglass joining tape but found it a little thick and doesn’t give a nice flush finish.

Would this be better?

Or shall I just continue to use the fibreglass tape and it is what it is?

Sponsored Links
Hello, in my en suite I’ve got a crack on the ceiling, it’s perfectly straight and nothing above, so I guess this is where the join is.

In the past (different house) I’ve used the fibreglass joining tape but found it a little thick and doesn’t give a nice flush finish.

Would this be better?

Or shall I just continue to use the fibreglass tape and it is what it is?

Without seeing it it is tough to advise.

You might be able to gently open the crack (without cutting through the existing scrim tape) and push some PVA wood glue in to it, then (when dry) gun in some Toupret Fibacryl in to it (wiping the surface flat- it is a caulk with tiny fibres in it). And once that has shrunk back, fill with a quality filler.

I have never used the paper tape before other than on tapered edge plasterboard. Be advised that it is not self adhesive. I guess you could use wallpaper paste or pva to glue it up but after dong so you would need to use something like shellac stain blocker to paint it to prevent the water in any filler from causing it to bubble.

Those kind of cracks can be a complete pain though. I they are in the middle of the ceiling it might be down to flexing in the flooring joist, in which case, you may have to live with a tiny hairline crack. Lining paper would probably be sufficient to hide it, but that means papering the whole ceiling.

Thanks, the stuff I used before never showed the crack again so I’ll just use that again and spread the filler further out this time then sand it down.

The line hasn’t really bothered me before but I need to paint the ceiling so whilst I’m there I may aswell sort it

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back