self adhesive fibre tape on ceiling joins, is it ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have done a bit of tape and fill on some plasterboard over the past year or so and have been using self adhesive fibre tape and readymix joint compound. I've had great results with the finish so have been more than happy

Just started on my stair landing area. I've overboarded the ceiling as it was uneven and had been artexed and have started to tape and fill the joins.

Was bored this lunchtime and was just googling guides on dry-lining again to see if there were any additional tips to be found and just noticed that some sites say only use fibre tape on recessed joints and use paper tape on ceiling, butt and internal corner joins.

I've used fibre tape on every join except external corners. :eek:

Have I c*cked up and am I likely to experience cracking in the future?

Sponsored Links
You can use fibatape ( self adhesive scrim ) on any plasterboard joints.

Jointers use paper tapes on internals because it is easier for fixing and easier to avoid damage from oversanding - but you can use the sticky scrim .

Stcky scrim is used because it is quiker and you don't have top make sure you have a coat behind it, like paper tape which will bubble if you don't.

Sponsored Links
I've used the nylon self adhesive tape for years, never had a problem, other than the once in a blue moon roll that won't stick. You don't get the dry spots under the tape as you do occasionally with paper and it bubbling.

You don't get the dry spots under the tape as you do occasionally with paper and it bubbling.

just discovered that problem yesterday on a one of my external corners (been using the metal embedded in paper stuff). need to be more meticulous when applying the compound next time

When I decided to repair the corners and windows of my house I bought a self adhesive tape. I was surprised a little bit with the result. They looked as if I replaced them to the new ones.
Your either advertising or a complete idiot; not only is this an old thread it's a plastering forum :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back