Ceiling cracks along exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have baught a semi detached from 1920 2 years ago and we have been traing room by room. Recently I have noticed what look like a crack under the artex in first floor bedroom. There is also small crack in the bathroom which is next to this room. One joinst looks like is bowing but not close to the 'crack'. My question shall be worried and contact structural engineer, or shall we just continue with tge renovation as normal. If is not structural what will be the best way to repair the crack and bowed joinst?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
It's not structural, but tricky to correct. 1920's properties were designed to move and flex, so Artex was developed to try and cover over the cracks that naturally appeared. You need to check the roof outside and see if there are any leaks that would cause the ceiling to bow (assuming I've understood your post correctly) or get into the loft if possible. Assuming there's no leak, and the ceiling is bowing, it may be that the nibs on the ceiling have broken off, and if so, there are ways to correct this. The other alternative, is to re-board the ceiling, and then plaster it. But be careful of cutting off the old Artex, as some of it has aesbestsos in it.

Thank you for your reply, I think we will board the ceiling and plaster over it. The previous occupiers done some bodged jobs in almost every room.I believe they removed the chimney between this bedroom and bathroom, what possibly could cause some problems if not done correctly . As far as I know not recent leaks in the attic, do we need to put supporting connecting joints between stright and bowing joint?
How do we check if the artex in the house has asbestos in it?
Thank you for your help

A long as you're not scraping the Artex off, then don't worry about it, but if you ever do have to, make sure that you wear high quality breathing protection.

You'll use about 50mm plasterboard screws , and that should push the bowed section upwards. Screws are fitted every 6", so it'll all hold nicely.

If the previous owners have taken out the chimney breasts, check to see how far up they have removed them, as they may not have supported the remaining chimney properly.

Sponsored Links
Will do investigation in the attic tomorrow.
Thank you for your time and advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back