Full house build.

Only a super quick look down your spreadsheet but 39.50 for a CO alarm, u should stick to battery operated imo and will pay under 30 quid (y) a drop in the ocean but every penny counts.

Sponsored Links
Not allowed - Building regs are insisting on mains powered I'm afraid, otherwise the whole lot would have been 10 year battery powered ones.

£5000 on the stone!!!

I can't imagine what a nightmare it has been. We are renovating a pre war semi and that's been bad enough dealing with the architect and a couple of suppliers.

Best of luck with it :)

We have been lucky with our architect, though the first one we looked at was nice enough, too, but he did not seem to quite have the experience of our particular sort of build we wanted. The architect we have ended up with has been great and has explained everything in detail, such as "why such and such is not a good idea, but have you thought of X" sort of thing, and even double checking we understood everything and suggesting ways to save money in how we designed the house and so on and arranging for me to0 "have a go" at building with ICF blocks on an ongoing site (though in the end the quote for building in ICF was to my surprise way more than our SIPs price, so we've stayed with SIPs).

I put the spreadsheet on really as a demonstration of the savings that can be achieved with a bit of shopping around on the internet - in total I expect we will have reduced the cost by about £20k by the end of the exercise - and that's on prices which are already supposedly discounted ones due to us having an account at the builders merchants. It means ordering from lots of places rather than just one or two, but that's a small inconvenience for the savings.

Sponsored Links
Well, start made on the practical stuff today with site clearing and the track putting in. Great to be finally doing real stuff after 3 years of paperwork and subsidising desk jockeys (notable exception to that being our architect who has been hugely helpful and kept our sanity at times).

Amazingly the site has been stripped and the levels done (a LOT of material to be moved due to us having to have part of the house set into the bank) in one day and tomorrow the foundations to be dug and Building Regs guy approving them, (fingers crossed, though no reason why he shouldn't really) possibly even poured the same day! After so long getting to this point it's quite amazing to see what can be done in one day. After the foundations we will have a delay whilst the timber frame (SIPS kit is made) but that's fine as I can be digging drains etc, so plenty to do. A good day today!

Well, seriously impressed with the builder, huge quantities of earth moved and foundations poured today. Currently we have our own Motte & Bailey castle at one end of the plot! Building Inspector arrived for our first inspection and much to my relief was a nice sensible guy who discussed some workarounds we'd done and had a good look at things but was clearly a very fair guy and keen to help us do the right thing. gave me some advice for the parts I will be doing too. Gave his blessing to what had been done and by 4p.m we had the foundations poured, only the 2nd day after it was all grass! Can't believe how lucky we've been with the weather in mid January too!

Luckily no less than 3 people came by today (a lot of dogs coincidentally get walked past when you start work on a plot :mrgreen: ) and asked if I could let them have some subsoil and some topsoil, so with luck I may end up not having to pay to have any taken away. I'm seriously impressed with the skills and work ethic of the digger driver and builder. I don't know if I'm allowed to name them on this forum so I won't but if anyone is having work done in Northumberland I'll be happy to pm you the name of the firm.

Last edited:
So we have a bit of spare topsoil and subsoil :mrgreen:......
But actually, there is some landscaping to do near the very end, a big pond and so on, so we'll not really know how much is spare for quite a while (the garden end of the site needs raising quite a lot to level the site fortunately, and a few people have already asked for several farm trailer loads for various jobs, so that's handy).

So from bare grass not even marked out on Monday to this by Friday:

Curlew, thanks so much for taking the time to post your progress, I'm following keenly.

Working up my own spreadsheets at the moment.
do you mind me asking what type of windows you've sprung for?

Curlew, thanks so much for taking the time to post your progress, I'm following keenly.

Working up my own spreadsheets at the moment.
do you mind me asking what type of windows you've sprung for?

Well because it is in the National Park we have to have traditional sash appearance windows (though not all houses in the village have them these days), but we could not find real sash windows with a good enough U value, which is really fundamental to what we are doing in this build, (well you could get close, but you'd be talking £25k+ just for all the windows!) or that I was convinced would genuinely stay draught proof in the long term. So I've been looking for traditional sash appearance windows for probably nigh on the full 3 years now. Going to the self build shows* we were able to get quotes from several manufacturers which vary wildly. Current leader is the Green Building Store however. I'd love triple glazing, but price simply forbids it. Why 1 extra pane of glass should add so much cost is a mystery, and I strongly suspect it's an artificial price hike.

Lesson 1 I learned is that the volume window suppliers (you'll know the names, you see them names on T.V, newspaper and often radio advertising) are a waste of time unless you are simply replacing bog standard windows on a standard volume build housing estate house. Anything other than that like a new build, and their brains explode! :D I ended up with a lot of wasted time when I explained I wanted quotes for supply only for new windows to go in a new house which is not built yet - fine, yes we can do that they (all) said, and then 2 got a rep to call (I hate having reps in the house and will never sign anything there and then, which I tell them from the very start), even though I explained there's no point as I could give them the specification sheet showing all the sizes down to the mm and detailing exactly (i.e white frames with white furniture, and full diagrams) what is required and they could come back with a price for supply only. Anyway, invariably, a while later I'd get a call saying the rep wanted to go and measure the windows, and I'd explain again that the house isn't built yet so they'd be stood on a stepladder in a field measuring an imaginary house! They'd say that they'd come when the house was built to measure and I'd explain that I could not have the house stood with no windows in it for weeks on end, hence ordering the windows in advance for supply only. "but what if the sizes are wrong? They'd say - that would be my fault I'd say, since I am giving you the measurements, so no come back on you. Anyway, this was all far too confusing and they'd say they couldn't do it - then a couple of weeks later I'd get another call saying a rep wanted to come and see me, I'd explain what had happened and they'd say "no, of course we can supply the windows for you" - then a week or so later another call saying they could not! (one well known firm did this 4 times until I told them to stop wasting my time).

Lesson 2 was the amazing variation in price from the smaller bespoke manufacturers - it's well worth trying a lot because the price variation for the very same specification product is amazing. One supplier with a good web site showing lovely work and a quote which looked really promising was dropped when I did a search and found several complaints of deposits paid and many months after the agreed supply date no windows turning up, or being massively the wrong size. So you do have to be really careful. On the self build forums there are a lot of horror stories of wrong sized or failing to appear windows.

Well, the beam and block is all done. Today we've been sorting through stone for the dry stone waller who had expected to start between Christmas and the New Year, and because he didn't, the digging out involved in the levelling of the site meant all the stone I'd dug out of the old wall for him had to be shoved off into the hole and mixed into soil again! :mad: His work is excellent however, but it did mean I'd hired a digger and dug all the stone out for absolutely nothing, (£200 and 2 days work). So next is to get a definite date from him and if no joy look for a different one unfortunately. That would be a shame, as we'd rather use the local guy (plus he's a nice guy, but really hard to pin down to start dates).
Monday sees the start of the foul drains - there's an 80 metre run to the nearest sewer point.

Last edited:
That's almost a house now!!!

80mtrs? I hope it's all downhill ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back