Ceiling Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can let me know what the deal is with my extension.

Its been up 3 years, and slowly but surely over the last year cracks have started to show, not down the plasterboards but all round the edge of the perimeter of the room ceiling.

Is this bad news or an easy fix?

Sponsored Links
There could be a number of reasons for cracks in ceilings.
Above board foot traffic,
The depth of the board should 12.5mm instead 9.5mm, prevents sagging, but this would also be seen on joints in the middle of ceiling.
The boards have not been fixed up tight.
Joint tapes have not been fitted or not fitted correctly.
Plaster has dried too, quickly and shrunk around the joint.
Joist movement.

So firstly I would go around the perimeter and push up the boards, to test for any spring in the board, if there is I would screw the boards up tight, being careful of any electrical cables, they should run least 50mm above the ceiling, so use dry lining screws smaller than 50mm, pipe work is normally notched just below the above floorboards, so should not be an issue.
I would then gently sand down the angles between ceiling and wall, to remove any flaky paint and form a key, then apply self adhesive joint tapes in to the angles, so the tape is formed both on the ceiling and wall.
It maybe wise to also apply pva solution around this area too, to allow easifill to adhere.
Then a 3 coat application of easifill over the tapes, sanding after each application, first two just a light sand to remove snots and blemishes, final sand to smooth and even.
The joints will then need priming, prior to painting.
It's a messy and dusty job, so clear as much out of room as you can and put dust shets down, close doors to other rooms and open a window, dust mask and safety specs also advised.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-Jointing-and-Repair-Tape/invt/163566
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ndid=9273263&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266891093

If the cracks are no wider than a pound coin piece, then all you have is a bit of shrinkage, and some lazy plasterer who has not run a tape round the ceiling perimeter angle before skimming
No big problem. All you need do, next time you decorate, is run a flexable painters caulk down the crack, wet your finger, and smooth of. May open up slightly again, may not, depends on how much heat in the room.
If you really want to cure it run a cove round the room. Pay no attention to all that wrote above.
old un.

If you really want to cure it run a cove round the room.

Coving :?: Hide the problem then, not everyone likes coving and not everyone knows how to fit it or fit it well.
Caulk :?: does not solve the problem, the problem will re-occur.

some lazy plasterer who has not run a tape round the ceiling perimeter angle before skimming
So lets sort that out, by doing it. :rolleyes:

Pay no attention to all that wrote above.

Cheeky git :evil:

Sponsored Links
If you really want to cure it run a cove round the room.
Coving :?: Hide the problem then, not everyone likes coving and not everyone knows how to fit it or fit it well.
IMO, coving is only marginally more fashionable than Artex these days & both are far less fashionable than farting at a friend’s dinner party. :LOL:

Chill PBD, I'me sure he didn't really mean it ;)

Richard,
Fully agree with you about coving, it's not everybodys cup of tea. Me I like it, but then again I am a bit old fashioned. It is also surprising how much of it is still being fixed

By the way I think it is very fashionable to fart at your friends dinner party. I would consider that excellent manners and a sign of appreciation of a good meal.
old in.

Prenticboy,

First to agree with you that I am a cheeky git. Will tell you why.
1. I can afford to be.
2. I am old enough to be.
3. I don’t give a brass monkey what you think, I only try to help people out by not frightening them to death and doing a lot of unnecessary work.
Word of advice young man, I know you mean well and what you say is said with the best intentions, and then you get an old git like me who pops up, speaks his mind and does not agree with yer.
Grow a thicker skin, don't get wound up and don’t bite so quick. Let it go over the top of your head.
old un.

Prenticboy, First to agree with you that I am a cheeky git.
I know you mean well and what you say is said with the best intentions, and then you get an old git like me who pops up, speaks his mind and does not agree with yer.

I don't mind people not agreeing with me and I don't mind the senior citizens speaking their mindl

Well young man, looks like the old git has done a bit of good. At least your laying back and letting it go over your head.
You have also got humour that I can appreciate, how ever I won’t take your offer up though, as I am too worried that by the time you frigged around trying to find the perfect way to do the job, I’d die in suspense beforehand.
old un :D

Looks like the mods, don't have the same sense of humour, as they seem to have deleted a valuable part of my previous post, never mind.
At least you were able to view it and was not offended.

I do apologize about trying to be perfectionist, the missus tells me off all the time about it, but it's a burden I shall have to carry. ;)
Depending on the size of the room and the drying condition, I would be able to remedy the op's problem in less than 3 hours in stages over a couple of days, hope you have a little longer than that left, only just feel like I am getting know you. ;)

Photos and actual size of crack will help (and feel free to measure against a pound coin)..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back