Ceiling extractor fan that is not directed vertically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extractor fan in the bathroom that was absolutely covered with dust, not cleaned for what I think was 10 years. I dry-wiped it and it has gradually starting making more and more noise, probably slightly too heavy handed during cleaning. It's come to the point where it starting to sound like a boeing 747 taking off... so it's going to be replaced.

I can't find any fans like it though. It says Greenwood airvac on the cover but the fan is not pointing down towards the floor but horisontally.

View media item 70830 View media item 70831
Is this a standard solution? Could anyone help me identify this fan?

I think there is also an inline fan further off that is constantly on. Is that common?

Many questions... but any help would be appreciated!
thanks
tim

Sponsored Links
Thanks - now that I read about the difference it makes sense.

The fan has always been working but it just very noisy (we moved in within a month ago). Is it worth to try to take it down and clean properly. Can you do maintenance to quite a fan? We have a similar fan in the utility room and that one isn't as noisy.

The fan further along the duct I cannot see just hear faintly. My guess is that it's on trickle mode to keep a small amount of air flowing.

Sponsored Links
You an clean and lubricate with a little wd40, [make sure it's off].May recover.
Are you in a block off flats, distant fan may be communal fan in ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back