Ceiling Fan controller problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently bought a celling fan (without light) and installed it in the bedroom, replacing the main ceiling light. The bedroom has two way switches, so now, the fan works perfectly well and we're able to turn it on and off from either switch (just as you could the light). The only issue is, it obviously on full speed or off. So i bought a Expelair WAC1 controller.

According to the installation guide, the controller inputs Live and Neutral, and outputs Live and Neutral. I don't think I have access to neutral in either switch box. The wires I have coming from the wall are....

At switch point 1 - A yellow with a red sleeve.
A blue with a red sleeve.
A red

The yellow goes to common and the red and blue go to L1 and L2 on the light switch.

At switch point 2 - A yellow with a red sleeve.
2 blues with red sleeve.
2 reds

The yellow goes to common and the reds / blues goto L1, L2 on the light switch.

Does anyone know how to proceed? Am I correct thay none of these are neutral? If so, how can I get a neutral to the controller then from the controller to the fan?

Thanks for reading....

Sponsored Links
Am I correct thay none of these are neutral?
Yup.

electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:chockblock2w.gif

If so, how can I get a neutral to the controller then from the controller to the fan?
Where do you want to put the controller?

If at switch point 2 is OK then you could run a length of T/E from there to the fan so that you can get L&N there.

Sponsored Links
I think it will require a double pole switch.
Unless the control operates as double pole isolator.

Thanks for the help - I think that drawing is exactly what i have. I'm just off to work but will look in detail later.

I just wanted to add that the fan controller has a built in double pole isolator. This then goes in to a fuse, then the transformer. I got this from the manual.

Cheers

I think it will require a double pole switch.
Unless the control operates as double pole isolator.

Thanks for the help - I think that drawing is exactly what i have. I'm just off to work but will look in detail later.

I just wanted to add that the fan controller has a built in double pole isolator. This then goes in to a fuse, then the transformer. I got this from the manual.

Cheers
Okay thanks, that explains the unit better to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back