Ceiling for a shower room

Reaction score
Country
France
Good Morning All

Would just like your input about a false-ceiling I want to install in a shower-room. This will be at about 2.35 m , 40 cm lower than real ceiling.

I'll be using water-resistant pb and Homelux membrane on the walls but guess that since it will only get a few inadvertant sprays that the green pb will be ok for the ceiling ?

I haven't given a lot of thought to finish, but would a plaster skim be reasonable (ceiling ) ?

Lastly, is there any point in using a vapour-barrier between the shower-room and internal walls ? I will be putting sound-deadening quilt within the studwork as this room will be between two bedrooms, but wondered about the utility of adding a vb. Rooms will be at similar temps and shower vented via extenal wall.

Thanks for your time

MW

Sponsored Links
I`ve put hundreds of ceilings in bath/shower rooms. Plain old plasterboard with 3mm skim and emulsion has never failed yet.[ extract steam dont let it linger] If its below another habitable room like bedroom etc use the plasterboard with foil on.

Normal pbs should be okay but if you have moisture resistant boards left use them, belt and braces.
As for Vapour check, yes I would, it will help prevent condensation.

green pb will be ok for the ceiling ?
If your not going to have downlighters, a vapour barrier on the false ceiling will be preferable. If your going to cut holes in it and heat it with downlighters then I don't see there'd be much point.

Sponsored Links
if you have moisture resistant boards left use them, belt and braces.
Normal wallboard will be fine if you have good extraction but use 12.5mm. You could also use Duplex if you want but if you use MR boards, they must be primed with a bonding primer before skimming or the plaster won't stick at all well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back